Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8 roller rockers on a ls6 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
i agree that gains a shop selling something and real world gains are two different things, but he is correct about the LS6 top end showing 25-30 + hp gains. however i dont see that having any impact on the actual gains of the rockers only.
I agree with the LS6 giving you the top end hp but is that usable hp in a track, you know what I mean. Good hp gains and I think we'll agree on this are the under the curve hp gains, the ones that are used stop light to stop light or 1/4 mile. Top end gains are great if your racing from 75mp to 150 mph u know.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
every car is different no matter what many hp gain claims are done under controlled situations in many shops and you can't apply these to every single build. Come on you seem like a smart guy, don't get caught up in an emotional argument and look at it for what it is , hp claims made by a company trying to sell you something and true world hp gains in an average joes car.
your right, every car is different no argument there. although none of the numbers I posted are claims from any company. Everything I have posted is from real world numbers that cars have dynod. I posted a link earlier of a bone stock ls1 picking up 8whp -17wtq with a 1.85 rocker swap, thats not from slp... I have seen plenty of dynos where on avg a stock untouched 243 head gains 10-15whp over 241's. I have also seen dynos of stock ls1's with a ls6 cam swap pick up anywhere from 10whp+. I mean stock ls6 engines normally dyno 350-360whp range. so thats 25-35whp more than the later ls1's. Thats why I feel your trying to argue with me because that info I posted is so widely available and known, it surprised me you would even argue that... but anyways it's all good, Im not caught up in any emotional argument at all! I just dont want the op to decide not to do the rockers with out having all of his facts strait. Yes swapping the cam is goin to be the best bet for hp vs dollar, but if the op is opposed to that,, then the 1.85 rocker swap is another option for increasing hp and tq across the entire power range.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did not notice you were from Ft. Wayne...you have probably heard of UNOH, the school im going to.

i get over that way sometimes, ill probably head over when i get my car back on the road.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

normally we all hang out at liberty diner on the weekends, thats right were us 30 and west coliseum intersect. There are some decent rides up there, but nobody races much anymore. Thats why anymore I normally just cruise around on the streets and go to the track a couple times a year. Must be the old age settin lol, Its amazing how much changes in 10 yrs...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
normally we all hang out at liberty diner on the weekends, thats right were us 30 and west coliseum intersect. There are some decent rides up there, but nobody races much anymore. Thats why anymore I normally just cruise around on the streets and go to the track a couple times a year. Must be the old age settin lol, Its amazing how much changes in 10 yrs...
the furthest i have made it on 30 is to 469 and around to Lima road and back to the coldwater mall. i worked at enterprise last year and went to an office there on coliseum and while i was standing there a NBM Z rolled past that had an STS kit. looked pretty killer.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
your right, every car is different no argument there. although none of the numbers I posted are claims from any company. Everything I have posted is from real world numbers that cars have dynod. I posted a link earlier of a bone stock ls1 picking up 8whp -17wtq with a 1.85 rocker swap, thats not from slp... I have seen plenty of dynos where on avg a stock untouched 243 head gains 10-15whp over 241's. I have also seen dynos of stock ls1's with a ls6 cam swap pick up anywhere from 10whp+. I mean stock ls6 engines normally dyno 350-360whp range. so thats 25-35whp more than the later ls1's. Thats why I feel your trying to argue with me because that info I posted is so widely available and known, it surprised me you would even argue that... but anyways it's all good, Im not caught up in any emotional argument at all! I just dont want the op to decide not to do the rockers with out having all of his facts strait. Yes swapping the cam is goin to be the best bet for hp vs dollar, but if the op is opposed to that,, then the 1.85 rocker swap is another option for increasing hp and tq across the entire power range.
no what am trying to say is the adding of hp numbers like regular math that's all but am sure we'll see some numbers that will prob open many peoples eyes.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

the furthest i have made it on 30 is to 469 and around to Lima road and back to the coldwater mall. i worked at enterprise last year and went to an office there on coliseum and while i was standing there a NBM Z rolled past that had an STS kit. looked pretty killer.
thats basically where everybody cruises... Im not sure if the guy still has that nbm sts z, but it was very nasty. I believe it was a 408 with a custom rear mount setup from epp.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

i wasent expecting it, i was standing on the side of the building smoking and it just rolls by, i almost burnt myself. ofcourse that was 2 years ago.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im basically planning on getting my car to a streetable ls6 status for now but instead of using an ls6 cam i am going to use the slp rockers since they'd get me to the same lift and just about the same duration. the 243 heads i got have the dual springs, titanium retainers and 5 angle valvejob done to them. they are also the better version heads with the triangles near the spark plugs. so going from a 1998 809 or watever head which is the earliest head to the "better" 243 should be somewhere around 25-30hp alone and when added to the slp rockers should amount to about 40hp total. plus the ls6 combo adds lots of power under the curve. i remember years back when magazines tested the corvette hardtop and then the zo6 which was the same car same weight but with the heads and cam and it was anywhere from 6/10ths to 9/10ths better in the quarter mile depending on magazine which really equals 60-90hp but its probably just because of better power under the curve that it was such an improvement.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
im basically planning on getting my car to a streetable ls6 status for now but instead of using an ls6 cam i am going to use the slp rockers since they'd get me to the same lift and just about the same duration. the 243 heads i got have the dual springs, titanium retainers and 5 angle valvejob done to them. they are also the better version heads with the triangles near the spark plugs. so going from a 1998 809 or watever head which is the earliest head to the "better" 243 should be somewhere around 25-30hp alone and when added to the slp rockers should amount to about 40hp total. plus the ls6 combo adds lots of power under the curve. i remember years back when magazines tested the corvette hardtop and then the zo6 which was the same car same weight but with the heads and cam and it was anywhere from 6/10ths to 9/10ths better in the quarter mile depending on magazine which really equals 60-90hp but its probably just because of better power under the curve that it was such an improvement.
Hey bro if I was you I'd get the entire ls6 pkg like I did man I feel so different with this pkg man its like power from no where because my car is the same car I bought its just quicker.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did not notice you were from Ft. Wayne...you have probably heard of UNOH, the school im going to.

i get over that way sometimes, ill probably head over when i get my car back on the road.
I graduated from there in 2005. Awesome place, I wish I was there when the 600 building was up and running. Sign up for the SEMA scholarship and try to get to go this year, its increadible.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
wow...ok.

your not going to see 25-30 hp from stock 806's to stock 243's unless they are ported some...

sorry man, but your reaching here.

ill bite on your setup, but the numbers your throwing out are starting to get outlandish. post some dyno sheets before and after...

and FWIW, the Z06 weighs about 150 lbs less than the coupe. thats .015 of a second there. also, changing the heads and cam are not going to make the rockers give a better result. you will see 8-10 with any cam.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
I graduated from there in 2005. Awesome place, I wish I was there when the 600 building was up and running. Sign up for the SEMA scholarship and try to get to go this year, its increadible.
man i didnt find out about the SEMA scholership untill almost 3 years in. now that i did, i cant apply for it because im in business classes, not tech classes.

the 600 and dyno building is sweet. now they got a 1100 building where S&S is, its down across the Hartzler road from the CDL building, and they got all kinds of baseball fields and stuff back behind the overflow lot. its definately changed, even since i started in 07.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run neck and neck with a c6 vette with these mods_Ls6 cam,heads,intake,pulley,ported tb,shift kit,3.42"s, an a tune.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll kick his vette *** once I get the headers installed.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez this thread got out of hand since I was gone...
Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Lolllllllll
Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Let us know and we'll hold the out of hand till you can give your .02 also
Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lolll
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol well since you have offered, I'll give a summary statement of my opinion.

While I do agree that it is not a good bang for the buck mod, for someone who wants to keep the stock cam (or anything equivalent to the GM Hot Cam or less) and maximize what their combination, this is a good mod for them. You can only squeak out power from so many places. I paid over 600 bucks for a Meziere water pump and had minor gains, but I wanted to maximize what I had because I was running out of places to gain power. Higher ratio rockers, both in theory and in dyno tests have been proven to pick up some power.

So bang for the buck they suck, but they do make a little power. If you are planning on a bigger cam, I don't recommend them. For a stock to tame cam, they will help.

Quick Reply: 1.8 roller rockers on a ls6 motor?