Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion on heads/cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your opinion on heads/cam

considering going ahead and ordering my heads and a cam........
im stuck between the stage 2.5 5.3 heads and the stage 2.5 ls6 heads
and as far as the cam im down to the
ms3
torquer v3
233/239
tsunami
torquer v2

so what do you guys think...... whats your opinion?? anyone with similar combos please let me know what you think

also the car weighs about 2900lb, is a 6 speed, has 4.10s and i drive it less than 15 miles a month........
i really would like it to perform the best at the dragstrip

also one last thing..... where is the cheapest place to get an ls2 timing set? im also thinking about new lifters while im there so where should i get those........ and a new oil pump.... i dont want a ported and shimmed pump im just looking for a new stock pump

thanks for your help guys
Old 05-14-2010, 04:58 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really depends how aggressive of a cam you want. I would not worry too much about low end power because you have such a light weight vehicle. If it was my car I would want a tsunami with 2.5 LS6 heads in there. That cam will still have plenty of low end, especially for that little car, and will put out a real nice power number.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 AM

I would do TEA LS6 Stage II's with a G5X3 or G5X4 cam.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i plan on switching out my cam and stepping up to a 233/239...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

It really depends how aggressive of a cam you want. I would not worry too much about low end power because you have such a light weight vehicle. If it was my car I would want a tsunami with 2.5 LS6 heads in there. That cam will still have plenty of low end, especially for that little car, and will put out a real nice power number
what kind of power would you expect from this setup??
i was really starting to lean towards the ms3 before you said this ........ what kind of differences would you expect from the tsunami and the ms3??
matt from texas speed told me the torquer v3 cam was the way to go by far... i hate to do this twice....just trying to make sure i get the one best suited for me
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found the cheapest price for LS2 timing chain and stock LS6 oil pump was from gmpd. I ended up getting a ported pump from TSP though.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by getsum27
what kind of power would you expect from this setup??
i was really starting to lean towards the ms3 before you said this ........ what kind of differences would you expect from the tsunami and the ms3??
matt from texas speed told me the torquer v3 cam was the way to go by far... i hate to do this twice....just trying to make sure i get the one best suited for me
With that cam/heads I would be shooting to hit 440-450rwhp with and LS6 intake. But like i said it really depends how aggressive of a cam you want. The powerband will be broad enough on any of those cams to provide enough low end power for that light weight car.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

how close will the ptv clearance be??
ive heard alot of tales when people pull their heads off they can see marks where the valves hit the pistons enough to make a mark but not bend the valves.......i do not want to notch the pistons

also i see you have the ms3 cam in your sig. with a 475rwhp under it............ i will be using an ls6 intake for now ....but is the ms3 better with ptv clearance or tsunami??
and would i have better clearance if i went with the 5.3 heads as to the ls6 heads?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by getsum27
how close will the ptv clearance be??
ive heard alot of tales when people pull their heads off they can see marks where the valves hit the pistons enough to make a mark but not bend the valves.......i do not want to notch the pistons

also i see you have the ms3 cam in your sig. with a 475rwhp under it............ i will be using an ls6 intake for now ....but is the ms3 better with ptv clearance or tsunami??
and would i have better clearance if i went with the 5.3 heads as to the ls6 heads?

I can vouch for the 233/239 cam and 5.3L stage 2.5 head combo. I already had the heads and swapped out my smaller 224 cam to the 233/239.

It is out of this world power wise. I just got the car back from the cam install and tuning about a week ago. I was driving home yesterday about 30 mph and hammered it, 100' black marks. They were only 100' because I let off the gas. To make the power level even more clear, the 100' marks are with 315 Nitto drags out back at about 20lbs

I can't say anything about the other setups but am VERY happy with this one.

By the way, you need to think about how much power separation there will be with each combo. My guess is you won't see a huge power difference in any of the combos you are looking at, maybe about 10RWHP.

Good luck, you will love any combo you get from Texas Speed.... Top Notch Products & Service!!!