Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley/harmonic balancer puller question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pulley/harmonic balancer puller question

What pulley puller have you used to get the stock crank pulley off the crank shaft? I just got some loaner from Advanced Auto that won't go wide enough to reach the middle section of the pulley, and the outside lip definetely isn't strong enough to hold it...need to figure out which one will fit it and not give me any problems...don't want to strain my crankshaft bolt threads...
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a three jaw crafstman one from sears. Best thing to do is to not even use the crankshaft threads - put a large socket on the front of the crank, and use that as a stress point for the puller.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

A 6" 3 jaw puller works well. I also use an aluminum plug I made that puts the load on the entire nose of the crank instead of the threads.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samb0ness
What pulley puller have you used to get the stock crank pulley off the crank shaft? I just got some loaner from Advanced Auto that won't go wide enough to reach the middle section of the pulley, and the outside lip definetely isn't strong enough to hold it...need to figure out which one will fit it and not give me any problems...don't want to strain my crankshaft bolt threads...
The loaner tool at Advance works just fine (provided they gave you the crank pulley puller and not a standard jaw puller). I've used it on many occasions. It's a small 3 jaw puller made to grab the three small lips in the center of the pulley.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

I've used the loaner tool at Advance Auto and a Craftsman one that Grimes mentioned. I put an electric impact gun on the end of the three pronged tool, and hit the trigger. Harmonic balancer comes right off with little effort doing it this way.

This link might help you: http://zigzautonotes.blogspot.com/20...r-removal.html
Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help guys. ended up getting it off with the standard advance pulley puller. I was trying to fit it around the outside lip instead of the ears that sit within the pulley...

Quick Reply: crank pulley/harmonic balancer puller question