Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock for old schoolers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definately call and talk to someone about cams. Your not going to want to use an off the thelf cam meant for EFI in your carbed motor. As im sure you know carb motors like narrower LSA's than most of the cams ground these days for the EFI motors.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah these engines are waay different than the old hotrod 350's. You would want to speak to a site sponsor or a close shop by you that does these engines for a living. If they dont know much about carbs on an Ls1 when you call, then immediately run! You want experienced answers, not just someone trying to make a buck. With the bigger bores (4.00 and over) The bigger carbs are the way to go or otherwise you will be limited in the upper RPM and will not have that power to take advantage of, especially if you have a cam that still makes power up top. Id look into a little more cam like some have mentioned, people run huge cams all day on these blocks and beat them up no problem season after season. Its all in the tune and combo, thats why you need an expert

There is a hotrod and a carb section on this site last time i checked too
Good luck with the build tho, hope you end up happy with your choice.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
There is a hotrod and a carb section on this site last time i checked too
Well, I just looked over the list of sections again several times. I just don't see a carb section. I am not ruling out that I missed it. If so, point me in the right direction. I did see the conversion and hybrid section. I have read quite a bit in there but did not find any answers to my specific questions.

garcr4 shared a very successful build with an off the shelf GM cam. And, the Edelbrock build in Popular Hotrodding used their off the shelf 2215 cam and made 400+ horsepower and was highly successful by all accounts. So, I am not sold on the idea that the cam I need isn't already readily available.

I will continue to search and read for others that have been there and done that.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

speedtigger,
You should give Tim a call at the shop today. He will be able to get you setup with everything you need. We have used quite a few of these systems with success. I would go with the MSD 6010 just because we have seen where the pills actually put in more than 10 degrees over MBT timing in the engine!!!!!!
I think they used the same timing curves from some small block chevys.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running msd 6ls box holley 750 carb. Easy to program the timing curves and such. I love it. 750 is a little small on my 383
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I was just looking at some of these Edelbrock cams and wondering if anyone noticed that the seat duration is huge.

Your DCR would be total **** with one of these cams. Hell you could probably run 11:1 SCR and still run 87 octane.

I'd be curios to see how one of these cams acutally performed.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I was just looking at some of these Edelbrock cams and wondering if anyone noticed that the seat duration is huge.

Your DCR would be total **** with one of these cams. Hell you could probably run 11:1 SCR and still run 87 octane.

I'd be curios to see how one of these cams acutally performed.
In general I don't pay too much attention to advertised duration. Different manufacturers measure them differently and the amount of hydraulic lifter tolerance/allowance is difficult to be exact. That is why most people really only look at the duration at .050".

As for how it actually performs, Popular Hot-Rodding did a build and subsequent dyno test on the combo.
Here is the link:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ion/index.html

Because it is a tested combo is why I was considering using it.

Although my original plan was to use a 6.0, my friend has a 5.3 with thirty some thousand miles on it that he is willing to donate to the project. I just have to decide if the 5.3 is enough motor for this 3700lb car.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
You would want to speak to a site sponsor or a close shop by you that does these engines for a living.
I will have to ask around to see who the LS gurus are in the Tampa, Fl area. Anyone know any?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I will have to ask around to see who the LS gurus are in the Tampa, Fl area. Anyone know any?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-members-58/
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the results from PHR are crap. 410hp is NOTHING. you can make that with the stock cam, headers and a vic jr. most guys are in the 500-540 range with camm'd 6.0's. my best friend drives a 232/234 .610(ish, can remember lift) with no issues. starts every time, and thats with a 346. as previously mentioned, i'd go with a 750, and a holley.

what car is this going into? weight? rear gear? trans/conv?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by kmracer
the results from PHR are crap. 410hp is NOTHING. you can make that with the stock cam, headers and a vic jr. most guys are in the 500-540 range with camm'd 6.0's. my best friend drives a 232/234 .610(ish, can remember lift) with no issues. starts every time, and thats with a 346. as previously mentioned, i'd go with a 750, and a holley.

what car is this going into? weight? rear gear? trans/conv?
The car is the 65 Skylark in my avatar. It weighs 3730 and has a TH700. I am building the rear end now. I haven't decided between 3.42s or 3.73s. The only real limiting factor on cam choice with this car is that I do not want a big sloppy converter. This car is getting a converter in the 2500 range.

While the 6.0 is doable. My friend is giving me a 35,000 mile 5.3. I have to say, if it is free - it's for me! I may spring for the tsp 5.3 heads. Seems like a hell of a deal. The guy at TSP said he would recommend their 224 cam for this combo.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, a 5.3 is gonna cost you quite a bit of power. you'd be looking at around 330whp with a choppy cam, and stock heads. you wouldnt gain much with the ported heads, and it wouldnt be worth the cash. also, a 224 in a 5.3 is gonna idle/drive like a 6.0 with a 10-15* MORE duration. remember, big motors like bigger cams.

with the 6.0, and just a cam swap you'd be looking at anywhere from 400 - 440whp, and a butt load more torque. with the converter size you're looking at, i'd say 6.0 with a basic 224/224 would be your best bet. also, go with the 3.73's.

also, have you bought the 700r4 yet? you might wanna consider a 4l60e, with a mild perf build. you could really take advantage of the lockup converter, a 4000 stall would be compleatly streetable. ANOTHER thing to consider, anything with more than 350 or so rwhp is gonna eat up either trans pretty quick.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by kmracer
well, a 5.3 is gonna cost you quite a bit of power. you'd be looking at around 330whp with a choppy cam, and stock heads. you wouldnt gain much with the ported heads, and it wouldnt be worth the cash. also, a 224 in a 5.3 is gonna idle/drive like a 6.0 with a 10-15* MORE duration. remember, big motors like bigger cams.

with the 6.0, and just a cam swap you'd be looking at anywhere from 400 - 440whp, and a butt load more torque. with the converter size you're looking at, i'd say 6.0 with a basic 224/224 would be your best bet. also, go with the 3.73's.

also, have you bought the 700r4 yet? you might wanna consider a 4l60e, with a mild perf build. you could really take advantage of the lockup converter, a 4000 stall would be compleatly streetable. ANOTHER thing to consider, anything with more than 350 or so rwhp is gonna eat up either trans pretty quick.
I could be wrong, but I suspect the power difference will not be that dramatic. There is a 13% difference in displacement. I would be surprised to see that yield a 33% difference in power.

When I spoke to Texas Speed, they said they have been getting a 40 HP increase with their CNC ported 5.3 heads. The representative also said that there is no loss in bottom end torque. So, unless they are just making wild unsubstantiated claims, the heads should make for a serious power increase.

The Texas Speed rep felt that a 5.3 with this combo would make over 400 HP.

Either way, a 6.0 is not out of the question. But, a free low mile 5.3 is too sweet to pass up. I can always upgrade later if I feel like I need more.

As for the 4l60e, doesn't that transmission require electronics? I chose the th700 because it does not require anything other than a TV Cable and a vacuum switch for the T/C lock up.

Last edited by speedtigger; 06-24-2010 at 10:45 AM.