Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged Lifter! (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am haveing an issuie similar to this topic I have head a light tapping noise after start up and at certain rpms like when oil warms up i just recently had a cam and head stall and lt and off road y-pipe installed and tuned and car put down 400 hp and 359 tq then aout 5 miles on the way home from tune car starts backfiring and ck engine light flases on and off and i hear ticking noise followed by a repeated hard knocking sound then lol I hear what sounds like a rod going though the block every 20 seconds or so while am trying to stop car and shut it down i get towed home pull valve cover off and driver side rocker is turned side ways and bolt backed out with only like tow or three threads left holding the rocker down so I inspect the push rod annd rocker all looks good the reinstall and fire up no more noise i take a spin then theres the ticking noise again but 3 to 4 times louder and too me it sounds like a lifter and only after 5 miles of driving what do u think does it sound like the same problem u are having and not trying to jack thread I was trying to fined someone with similar problem and I think this is it and help would be appresiated thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guys heres my 2cent i owned a 98-99 and learned alot and had alot of fun too, i've been around the block with lifter problems and this is what i know and learned the hard way. to the OP, dude your cam is now a coffee table conversation starter, if you stop for just a second and think you'll feel dumb for even considering keeping this cam in your glorious LS1! also you need to check that lifters tray and see if the lifter will spin in it... like if the flat spots have rounded out ,i had to tear down two motors after the same cylinder lifter kept shitting the bed and come to find out it was a failure in the lifter tray it allowed the lifter to turn sideways and the cam lobe and lifter roller beat each other to death TWICE,the second time also ruined my cam sensor, crank sensor, and the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. A bent push rod can end like this, also this happped to a guy that installed the wrong lenght push rods and caused the rollers to collapse.....
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
OK guys heres my 2cent i owned a 98-99 and learned alot and had alot of fun too, i've been around the block with lifter problems and this is what i know and learned the hard way. to the OP, dude your cam is now a coffee table conversation starter, if you stop for just a second and think you'll feel dumb for even considering keeping this cam in your glorious LS1! also you need to check that lifters tray and see if the lifter will spin in it... like if the flat spots have rounded out ,i had to tear down two motors after the same cylinder lifter kept shitting the bed and come to find out it was a failure in the lifter tray it allowed the lifter to turn sideways and the cam lobe and lifter roller beat each other to death TWICE,the second time also ruined my cam sensor, crank sensor, and the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. A bent push rod can end like this, also this happped to a guy that installed the wrong lenght push rods and caused the rollers to collapse.....

I hope no one is skipping a cheap insurance like replacing all lifters tray when tearing up the engine!!

...wait a second, I think my engine builder did!!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Update:

So I decided to pull the cam after looking at it throught the lifter openings. Yep the cam was fubar....

I have been too busy to worry about taking any pictures, but it is definitely eaten up pretty bad on the lobe that corresponds to the failed lifter.

Last edited by SteelBallz; 06-01-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Here are some crappy pics I got with my cell phone...

Sorry they are blurry, I was in a hurry when I snapped them... you should still get the idea though...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it looks like your lifter trays failed and allowed your lifter to spin 90*. This happend to one of my friends cars also, I would buy a set of the lifter trays for some cheap insurance (and they really are cheap).
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cape T/A
To me it looks like your lifter trays failed and allowed your lifter to spin 90*. This happend to one of my friends cars also, I would buy a set of the lifter trays for some cheap insurance (and they really are cheap).
Yeah I ordered all new lifter trays when I ordered the headbolts/gaskets....

For what it is worth, there was nothing wrong with the existing lifter trays, so I doubt that is what happened -- but they were only like $4 a piece....
Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

would linked lifters solve the problem of bad plastic lifter trays????
Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Update:

Got the car running again this weekend.

Thanks to Brian@SpectacleSolutions for getting me the hook up on a new Comp cam.

Thanks for everyone's input...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever find out what casued this to happen?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

I read this thread and ordered morrell link bar lifters, no plastic trays or me!!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
would linked lifters solve the problem of bad plastic lifter trays????

Yes.......

Quick Reply: Damaged Lifter! (with pics)