Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first Ls1 build started

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy has about 20K in from what he told me..I don't like it because its kinda ricey..but eh its his stly..I was just joking when I posted that anyway..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by izzman55
so yeah what would be cheaper then.... . boosting it or the n.a build. i just love the raw power of n.a and sound.
Nitrous would be a fraction of either build.
Turbo would be cheaper than NA if you can't build your own engine.
Originally Posted by SpeedySam
I swear on my life it could get 650..e85 is very good in these types of cars...No get pissey because a 4cyl..could possible have more Hp than you V8..
Doesn't matter if you swear on everything in this world, fact is it does not put down 650Whp. Period. I did not get "pissy" because it is a 4 cyl, that is irrelevant to me.
Why would it matter? I already stated that I only make 370Rwhp but am knocking on 10s doors at 120+mph with a 1.4 short time. What does that car run?
Hp means absolutely nothing to me. Nothing.
N/A because if you boost you want to be safe so that still involve's building the bottom end..IF you want to run a high amount of boost...And still it seems to me you would have to build the rear end..
He would only need 6-7 #s to hit 500Rwhp, no reason to have a forged bottom end for that little amount of boost.
He would need a 9" with as little power as full bolt ons/slicks would provide. Hell, people break them in M6s under stock power with radials.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 AM

I understand that is why I said IF HE WANTS RUN HIGH BOOST.

And the Talon eh I'm not sure I would guess 11's or 10's those are very lightweight cars..Similar I have seen high 10's so that is my guess..Didn't mean to start anything man just..Trying to show the guy something in a joking matter..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

The guy has about 20K in from what he told me..I don't like it because its kinda ricey..but eh its his stly..I was just joking when I posted that anyway..
So he has 20K in his car and is selling it for 7K?

That doesn't sound a little fishy to you man? Come on. I would bet money that car doesn't make 400Whp.

He have dyno graphs/time slips/build sheets? Anything?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I understand that is why I said IF HE WANTS RUN HIGH BOOST.

And the Talon eh I'm not sure I would guess 11's or 10's those are very lightweight cars..Similar I have seen high 10's so that is my guess..Didn't mean to start anything man just..Trying to show the guy something in a joking matter..
But he isn't running high boost, therefore there is no way to tell if he could make 650Whp, he could up the boost 2#s and blow the block/trans/rear to pieces, who knows. Not me and not you and nobody else.

I would bet money it doesn't run 10s, would HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt 11s.

I understand what you were doing, but chances are it is false information. Not really your fault but the guy with the post.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 AM

I was talking about the OP I said to run high boost that he would need to forge the internals..To run high boost SAFELY..

And actually I be the guy has about 20+K in it, the motor alone cost about 8K

Buschur parts aren't cheap I have spent over 10K on my ride on just the parts in my sig..But really man I would not doubt if he has those mods that he could make 650 to the wheels...
Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was talking about the OP I said to run high boost that he would need to forge the internals..To run high boost SAFELY..

Buschur parts aren't cheap I have spent over 10K on my ride on just the parts in my sig..But really man I would not doubt if he has those mods that he could make 650 to the wheels...
Was not aware... No reason for high boost for 500Rwhp.. He would hit that with a stock block and 6-7#s easily.

You are the guy that owns the Talon?

You spent 10K? What do you run?

Again, you can not doubt it all you want... Simple put he doesn't. This is Ls1tech.com.. If it doesn't run the times or make the Rwhp numbers, it doesn't do it. It doesn't matter if some other setup made it or not. What a car runs/put down is what it runs/put down, no other way to dice it.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:54 AM

I don't own the car I'm just saying what I know..I'm done with this discussion I have work tomorrow..I run 12's and that was before all the mods I have now I need a tune and then I will hit the track..Oh and its All Wheel Drive no DSM or Evo is rear wheel drive that is why the handling is so good...
Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't own the car I'm just saying what I know..I'm done with this discussion I have work tomorrow..I run 12's and that was before all the mods I have now I need a tune and then I will hit the track..Oh and its All Wheel Drive no DSM or Evo is rear wheel drive that is why the handling is so good...
You know or were told? Big, big difference.

10K in mods and you might possibly run 11s and only have 320Whp.. No way you could get me to go to a DSM platform. What exactly did you run, just curious? 60' and trap as well.

I don't believe I ever said any DSM was Rwd. Could care less how they handle. All that matters is straight line.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You spent 10k on parts? Damn, I hope you run deep deep into the 10's. hell, I'd expect 9's.

Sorry I'm late to the thread, I was out doing some Evo killing. There's not a car on the planet I hate more than the Evo, because of their cocky drivers who get all butt hurt and salty after I paint a black stripe down the side of their ride. Even had one refuse to pay up once. It wasn't pretty for him.

******* Evo pieces of ****.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I *** raped an evo with the old White car... Had bolt ons and boost turned up a bit with a tune.
We kind of baited him.. My car wasn't there at the moment and we kind of "played it down a bit". They were saying how he was going to murder me. We agreed to a price and I went to get my car. They heard it coming about 3-4 miles away! I pulled up and we chatted.. Before we got into our cars to go to the spot he pulled me aside and I quote, "You are about to *** rape me aren't you"... I told him Yes but I would take it easy.. He had a lot of friends there.

I ended up 3/4 throttling him to about 80 (started at 25) and WOT till 100... Had a few busses on him.
He paid up at the end and said I had one mean *** car.. Dude was cool as ****.

Have not really had too many other interactions with them... So what I know of them... Slow *** ******* cars but cool owners that pay me the monies!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You spent 10k on parts? Damn, I hope you run deep deep into the 10's. hell, I'd expect 9's.

Sorry I'm late to the thread, I was out doing some Evo killing. There's not a car on the planet I hate more than the Evo, because of their cocky drivers who get all butt hurt and salty after I paint a black stripe down the side of their ride. Even had one refuse to pay up once. It wasn't pretty for him.

Tell us how you REALLY feel.

Funny post.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black

this. period.

as for you other guys, that red talon forsale is local to me. if u think it puts down more than 300 whp ur drunk. car is a peice just like any other dsm. period
Old 06-06-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
as for you other guys, that red talon forsale is local to me. if u think it puts down more than 300 whp ur drunk. car is a peice just
Exactly what I suspected. Damn it I love it when I'm right.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

First question- what i your budget$$$

if your going to go n/a its big bucks...my 383 produces 532/472 at the rear and has run 10.7x @133 in the q with a mid 1.6x 60 foot.

my .02 get tfs 215 heads mill them to bump the final c/r to 11.5-1
get a fast 92 ported
you will need a upper 230x duration and 600 lift cam- pick one my vrx5 pulls to 7k.

if your going to keep the stock bottom end better but arp bolts in or you will be part of the over the crank club (i know ls1's dont break cranks but will throw rods through the block and make a mess)

get a ls2 throttle body ported

plan on a light set of rockers like yella terra

run an under drive pully- you dont need an ati like i have- there are others that will do the same and cost half as much

run a meziere electric water pump

if your a 6 speed- install a light weight fly wheel- those who say its hard to drive on the street- they have never had one in their car...i do- zero issues leaving a stop light at/off idle...

if your going to build a stroker- there is no need to go to lingenfelter..years ago the industry was a black art and they had the edge..no longer do they..many of great companies can build a top notch 383 for 4-5k (short block) with all forged guts....if i were to do another build i would call

carmen at the vette dr's- i did have some issues with them (only from a time to deliever the job) but they know their **** and build everything right the first time..every time...

ecs racing has really impressed me over the past 5 years...they have built a hell of a reputation for building STREET cars that run in the low 10's and 9's with 100% reliability..this is very hard to do when your going that fast

vengeance racing has also assembled a top group of staff and builders to make some serious bad azz street cars...they use PROLINE to build their engines...this company has been building some of the fastest engines in the outlaw division and now have expanded over the past several years to the bowtie side....

bottom line it costs money to go fast n/a- plan on 10-12k for stock bottom end and 15-17k for a stroker...

since i dont run a blower (used to on my turbo busa- different animal, also my dutweiller gn..again different animal) someone else can chime in....if you want to go with a blower....only shop to call is ECS...they have turnkey packages that eliminate 100% of any guess work or questions...

so either n.a which i like right now, i want a goal of 500rwhp, a badass sound....

or a turbo build, which has more potential, but i want car to be nice and streetable.

any suggeestions
Old 06-06-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

budget????
if its 2500 then tfs 215...if its 1500 then someone else can chime in...

best heads has been thrown against the wall here for years...understand its a total package that builds hp...to have great heads like tfs and then a stock intake, stock t body is going to build less hp then some one with a set of cnc'ed tea ls6 heads and a fast 92 ported and a ported ls2 t body...
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

plan on 15k + to build a 383 with heads, intake, cam, rockers etc....

my .02 find someone who has already built their car up and is selling it...buy theirs and sell your stock car.....mods only get .30-.50 cents on the buck when it comes time to sell...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you really want 500 streetable horsepower and you are thinking about stroking it, just go LS2 based 402 and you are there, you could probably squeeze 550-600 streetalble horses out of the 402
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so whats the best n.a setup to do on an ls1...
What's the best way to find that out?

hint: posting a bunch of "Whats the best" isn't even on the top 3 list.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to vengeance racing webstore and look at their trick flow head and valve train combo.you can get trick flow 220cc cast heads for $1680 plus free shipping .

Quick Reply: Got my first Ls1 build started