Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 LQ4/9 Interchangability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 LQ4/9 Interchangability?

I am thinking about swapping a LQ4/9 for my LS1.

Weight is not an issue, I am looking to make it into a 434ci.

I am wondering if the accessory brackets & drives timing chains etc will swap between the blocks.

Thanks
Craig
Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

absoutely everything will swap over....

the only thing you have to do is drill one hole for the alternator bracket. when you put your F-body alt bracket up to the 6.0 block, you will see which hole needs to be drilled and tapped.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also have to use the LS1 oilpan and windage tray.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The ground coming from the battery, will have to be bolted somewhere else. It originally is bolted on the passenger lower rear of the block, there will not be a boss for it on the LQ4/9 block. The ground/harness I am speaking of has (2) wires, one positive from the battery, and the other negative. The positive goes to the starter, the negative, well I moved mine to a bolt on the engine mount. I am having problems starting the car now, that may or may not have anything to do with it.

My alternator bracket had (4) bolts that threaded into the LS1 block. The LQ4/9 block only has (3) and one of which will need to be tapped. IIRC it is the one on the side right beneath the driver side head. I am unsure because it was already tapped from the engine builder. Everything else has been a breeze!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
The ground coming from the battery, will have to be bolted somewhere else. It originally is bolted on the passenger lower rear of the block, there will not be a boss for it on the LQ4/9 block. The ground/harness I am speaking of has (2) wires, one positive from the battery, and the other negative. The positive goes to the starter, the negative, well I moved mine to a bolt on the engine mount. I am having problems starting the car now, that may or may not have anything to do with it.

My alternator bracket had (4) bolts that threaded into the LS1 block. The LQ4/9 block only has (3) and one of which will need to be tapped. IIRC it is the one on the side right beneath the driver side head. I am unsure because it was already tapped from the engine builder. Everything else has been a breeze!

It will work just fine without tapping for that bolt. Many guys on here just use 3.......
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
It will work just fine without tapping for that bolt. Many guys on here just use 3.......
...and where in that bold section or any part of my post did I say I bolted up or used (4) alternator bolts...?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Are the crank reluctors the same?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
The ground coming from the battery, will have to be bolted somewhere else. It originally is bolted on the passenger lower rear of the block, there will not be a boss for it on the LQ4/9 block.
If you're looking to use the stock LQ4 mounting point for the ground it is the drivers side front of the block, a little further back from the oil galley plug.

Originally Posted by azceta
Are the crank reluctors the same?
Yes