Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High compression 347 with Texas Giant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bounce back and forth A LOT. Tuned for phoenix, but come down here for months at a time. Its a pain really. I do need some slight tuning for my tb settings and what not though. But I do like the way my car drives once I am cruising and its fully warmed up. No issues...just can't drive the car like when it was stock.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need someone to work on the tune a bit more..
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Sounds like you need someone to work on the tune a bit more..
Indeed, I do need it touched up a lil bit.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Major tune issues, get a new tuner. I've tuned a few cars now and my buddies 04 Trex m6 drives just fine and does not surge much at all even around 1400 rpm. Always starts and finds idle. I was actually very surprised that his Trex car tuned easier than my little cam car. My car also drives amazing but it took a long time to get the tune there. Sounds like the airflow tables, fuel and spark tables all need adjusted.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Classic case of over camming an engine. Classic case of flow numbers do not always equal dyno power. This should be stickied under "what NOT to do."

The overlap triangle on that cam in a 346 will want peak power way over the normal 6400 where the intake wants to peak, and the heads may be running out of air or stalling bad before it ever gets there. That's why it falls off so bad. Engines don't run at 28" of water depression.

This is a mismatched pile of junk. Look at the numbers the poster above me made with a 224 cam and 243's with a valve job. I don't care if god is tuning his car, it's not going to sniff 475 with what he has. He'll be lucky with 450.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

If those LS1 castings really do flow 340 cfm, sounds more like a happy bench, I do port LS heads too, someone was chasing numbers on a flow bench. They have to be huge runners, thin in a number of spots, and valves so big they are probably shrouded by the cylinder wall.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
If those LS1 castings really do flow 340 cfm, sounds more like a happy bench, I do port LS heads too, someone was chasing numbers on a flow bench. They have to be huge runners, thin in a number of spots, and valves so big they are probably shrouded by the cylinder wall.
I have a hard time believing that the heads flow 340 but if they do they have to be hogged out bad. I had a set of Rapid heads that were great for stock castings and they only flowed 305 with 245cc runners. I think the heads are the main problem and the low end torque of the big cam isn't helping any. I think the parts are mis-matched baddly at this point but I wanted to get everybodys opinion. Thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I have a hard time believing that the heads flow 340 but if they do they have to be hogged out bad. I had a set of Rapid heads that were great for stock castings and they only flowed 305 with 245cc runners. I think the heads are the main problem and the low end torque of the big cam isn't helping any. I think the parts are mis-matched baddly at this point but I wanted to get everybodys opinion. Thanks
You mean lack of torque.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You mean lack of torque.
Yes sir you are correct. It has nothing until about 4500rpms wich is why I said it would have bad street manners. I just think it will feel like a dog on the street.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
Yes sir you are correct. It has nothing until about 4500rpms wich is why I said it would have bad street manners. I just think it will feel like a dog on the street.
lol, no thinking about it. It will.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not that I was a fan of this idea when he called originally and started asking questions about this build, but I do remember him saying it was going to be right at a 100% race and no street application. Again, this was not our idea, and I tried to talk him out of it...but I wanted to let you guys know that Jared was not concerned with the bottom end power or street manners when he ordered, so discussing that is sort of a mute point anyway.

I think about 10º less duration on both sides would have been a better idea, but maybe he'll get the kinks in the combo worked out and run an ET.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Not that I was a fan of this idea when he called originally and started asking questions about this build, but I do remember him saying it was going to be right at a 100% race and no street application. Again, this was not our idea, and I tried to talk him out of it...but I wanted to let you guys know that Jared was not concerned with the bottom end power or street manners when he ordered, so discussing that is sort of a mute point anyway.

I think about 10º less duration on both sides would have been a better idea, but maybe he'll get the kinks in the combo worked out and run an ET.
I'm glad you chimed in because I didn't think you guys would recommend this cam to him. If its a race only setup on spray maybe it will run a good number but there was better ways to get there.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yea, he was pretty adamant about running that thing, and IIRC he had a Magic Stick before at some point and now wanted bigger.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Yea, he was pretty adamant about running that thing, and IIRC he had a Magic Stick before at some point and now wanted bigger.
I think he got caught up on how well the texas giant works in my 402 and wouldn't listen when we said that it wasn't right for his setup. Typical bigger is always better threory which we know doesn't really work in the real world.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

who did the head work?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

There is a "perfect" cam for each combo. If you are going to miss it, it is better to miss on the small side than to be too big. At least being too small isn't killing the pressure wave, it's just not taking complete advantage of it. Too big and the air in the runner is going to stall, not reflect off the back of the valve to return a pressure wave when the valve is reopened, and could very well push some of the air column back out of the cylinder before the intake valve closes. Especially if the heads have good low lift flow (another reason why low lift flow should be as little as possible).
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
There is a "perfect" cam for each combo. If you are going to miss it, it is better to miss on the small side than to be too big. At least being too small isn't killing the pressure wave, it's just not taking complete advantage of it. Too big and the air in the runner is going to stall, not reflect off the back of the valve to return a pressure wave when the valve is reopened, and could very well push some of the air column back out of the cylinder before the intake valve closes. Especially if the heads have good low lift flow (another reason why low lift flow should be as little as possible).

Or maybe a cam ground with this in mind. Eliminating more of the overlap at lower lifts. There is nothing really wrong with big fast ramping agressive lobes, but how you set there valve events, well, that's another topic.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Or maybe a cam ground with this in mind. Eliminating more of the overlap at lower lifts. There is nothing really wrong with big fast ramping agressive lobes, but how you set there valve events, well, that's another topic.
Yep, and way too advanced to talk about here.. or even at all. It would **** off a number of people to have some of those theories made public knowledge.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

^^^^Fire that conversation up in the Advanced Tech section. It is usually free of people that don't have good input.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 AM

I have a new cam ground that I'll be trying once this summer school semester is over. A pinch bigger than a Trex, but I think I am going to pick up power everywhere. Small total duration, but agressive lobes, and specific valve timing.

Quick Reply: High compression 347 with Texas Giant?