Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

317 heads - good to port & polish?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 732 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
Yeah, I don't know that I trust myself enough to go screwing around with a dremel on my heads. More power to ya if you're skilled enough though!

I guess I wasn't sure if it was even worth the trouble or money. I'm hoping for 525 - 550 RWHP with the 317's, LS6 cam, and MPT70 turbo. In the grand scheme of things, is a P&P job going to net enough extra HP to make it worthwhile?

For your goals it's a waste of time/money/effort to port (or have ported) the 317's. Can easily make more than your goals on an untouched casting. Spend the money elsewhere IMO. Look into an S475 or similar turbo instead of that crappo MP70.

I'm easily making around 1000 crank hp on an untouched 317 casting and 18ish lbs of boost with a mild cam. With boosted engines you don't need fancy port work or high RPM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
For your goals it's a waste of time/money/effort to port (or have ported) the 317's. Can easily make more than your goals on an untouched casting. Spend the money elsewhere IMO. Look into an S475 or similar turbo instead of that crappo MP70.

I'm easily making around 1000 crank hp on an untouched 317 casting and 18ish lbs of boost with a mild cam. With boosted engines you don't need fancy port work or high RPM.
Sure you can make a bunch of power with unported heads but why not take advantage of the efficiency? Make the same amount of power with less boost.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenstein
Sure you can make a bunch of power with unported heads but why not take advantage of the efficiency? Make the same amount of power with less boost.
What exactly is less boost helping? The only thing that sees additional stress from more boost is the turbo itself, and in some cases, more boost actually increases its efficiency. The only real downside to more boost is increased heat, which still isn't a problem for 95% of setups. Unless his MAP sensor is maxed or some other minor technicality, what's the problem?

Your long block doesn't care that you're feeding it more boost. Feed it whatever it takes to reach your goals.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 732 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenstein
I’m all for that if budget isn’t a concern. Looking at cost VS HP you already bought the turbo and turning up the boost **** is free. If you can meet your power goal on boost alone (easily in the OP’s case) then why spend money on porting the heads?

I’ve also found heads are likely to be damaged if/when an engine fails. I’m glad I didn’t have lots of time and money sunk into my heads, as they were beat up badly when the engine failed. I picked up another set of 317’s for $120. Cleaned them, lapped the valves by hand, and installed my springs…done.

I understand you're a race head guy... but the OP is talking 525 - 550 RWHP... Thats nothing on a boosted LS of any kind.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kris Mess
I just know I pro charged a 05 lq9 with 317 heads .. I'm guessing 10:1 and a 03 Zo6 cam .. tuner said it choked at 5k rpms making 350hp and 400tq with 100% .. asking for a safe tune .. my brother has twin turbo at 7 pounds also with a ls2 and 317 heads running 9.5:1 100% gas and maxed out the 60 pound injectors a little over 700hp .. so I at least know them heads can flow 700hp , just not sure what my problem is .. porting heads help that much? or the cam? .. he's even running less timing that I am .. kinda baffling to me
Your problem isn't the heads or the cam. I would look for intake or exhaust restrictions first.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 491 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I’m all for that if budget isn’t a concern. Looking at cost VS HP you already bought the turbo and turning up the boost **** is free. If you can meet your power goal on boost alone (easily in the OP’s case) then why spend money on porting the heads?

I’ve also found heads are likely to be damaged if/when an engine fails. I’m glad I didn’t have lots of time and money sunk into my heads, as they were beat up badly when the engine failed. I picked up another set of 317’s for $120. Cleaned them, lapped the valves by hand, and installed my springs…done.

I understand you're a race head guy... but the OP is talking 525 - 550 RWHP... Thats nothing on a boosted LS of any kind.
Your words of wisdom are a breath of fresh air in the midst of so many people on this forum over-killing every little aspect of their builds. On the other hand, porting would add a little extra off-boost power, and the OP's VERY mild goals lead me to believe this will be mostly a street car. As you said, budget would be a concern, but how much is your fun worth? That is the real question that only the individual can answer.

Quick Reply: 317 heads - good to port & polish?