Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

degree wheel kit recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

So this is good timing. I'm thinking of getting the Comp Degree Kit and their checker springs and the valvespring compressor since I need to degree the cam and check PtV. Seems like I might be able to piece together something a little cheaper, but this setup would be ready to go.

My question is, does anyone know if the dial gauge "apparatus" that holds it to the block, can that be made to fit the 8mm thread on the heads? It looks like it's a three piece design, so I could just get a long 8mm bolt and attach the 5" extension to that, but wanted to make sure I could rig something up so I could reuse the apparatus for PtV clearance check as well? Anybody know? We can't use the magnetic bases since the engine is all aluminum...
Old 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
So this is good timing. I'm thinking of getting the Comp Degree Kit and their checker springs and the valvespring compressor since I need to degree the cam and check PtV. Seems like I might be able to piece together something a little cheaper, but this setup would be ready to go.

My question is, does anyone know if the dial gauge "apparatus" that holds it to the block, can that be made to fit the 8mm thread on the heads? It looks like it's a three piece design, so I could just get a long 8mm bolt and attach the 5" extension to that, but wanted to make sure I could rig something up so I could reuse the apparatus for PtV clearance check as well? Anybody know? We can't use the magnetic bases since the engine is all aluminum...
Originally Posted by KCS
I bought both the indicator and base for about $15 the actual Harbor Freight location, but I'm sure you could order them online as well.

To use the magnetic base, I used a piece of angle iron from the hardware store to make a bracket that bolted onto the header flange which provided a flat surface to secure the base. It ended up workng out really well.
^This.

Also FWIW I just picked up the dial gauge from harbor freight and it looks like its the exact same piece comp sells (less the COMP logo).
Old 06-29-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
We can't use the magnetic bases since the engine is all aluminum...
the aluminum block does make it more difficult, however there are plenty of ways to get creative.
this picture was on my iron block, but the same would work on any block.
12" pry-bar bolted down with one of the timing cover bolts.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Ah hell, I've ordered the Comp spring compressor kit. Of course, I'll be doing it with the heads off just to install checker springs. Hopefully it's not pure garbage and will work for that.

And I ordered the Comp degree kit. Now I need to get creative with how to mate the dial gauge to the head for checking PtV. It doesn't have an aluminum base but is a threaded rod. lol
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

If you unscrew the magnetic indicator base, the threads are 8x1.25mm and will thread into the rocker bolt holes.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by KCS
If you unscrew the magnetic indicator base, the threads are 8x1.25mm and will thread into the rocker bolt holes.
The Comp dial indicator doesn't have a magnetic base. I don't know why I wrote aluminum before. It is threaded to be used in the block for finding TDC and some other measurements. But I will reuse it for PtV.

I'll take a look at the Comp spring compressor. It looked similar to the Trickflow one, but the Trickflow one is like $20 cheaper. I got the Comp one from Amazon. Just cancelled that part of the order. I'll order the Trickflow one from Summit.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did all the valve springs on my LS3 heads when they were new with the comp tool and didn't have a problem with any of them. When I do it again, i will be sure to get longer bolts

Quick Reply: degree wheel kit recommendation