Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped a rod bolt to hell

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahelou
i thought i couldnt pull the cap off without having the motor remachined. i thought the whole point of installing one rod bolt at a time was cuz of this. if i took both rod bolts out and then the cap, wouldnt that make that method useless?

and the heads are off the motor also. i dont want the piston to come out. that would suck.
You definetly dont want to pull the other bolt out or you will have to change the rod bearing. Just drill the rod bolt and use a bolt extractor.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
NEVER, ever, ever use screw or bolt extractors. They don't work. They always break, and CANNOT be drilled out.

Instead, use the removal tool shown above. Works well.

Next time, use the proper tool. The ARP bolts have a 12 point 3/8" head. Most people use metric tools, and a 10mm 12 point will easily round off the head.
wrong... rod bolts torque are held in the head where it touches the rod cap. cut the head off and drill and use extractor, itll come out every time. Rusty exhaust bolts are another story...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Thats foolish. First time I ever used a easy-out it worked like a charm. Stop giving people bad advice.
Ask any Snap-On, Matco, Mac, or Cornwell tool dealer how often they have to replace broken bolt extractors. Stop by your local machine shop and ask their opinion on the matter. They're extremely hard and brittle. They break. They break very often. And they're impossible to drill out.

The kit shown above is a FAR superior alternative.

You'll remember this when (not if) your extractor breaks on you in the future.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Ask any Snap-On, Matco, Mac, or Cornwell tool dealer how often they have to replace broken bolt extractors. Stop by your local machine shop and ask their opinion on the matter. They're extremely hard and brittle. They break. They break very often. And they're impossible to drill out.

The kit shown above is a FAR superior alternative.

You'll remember this when (not if) your extractor breaks on you in the future.
I agree with them being brittle and that they often break but the rod bolts would almost certainly come out without issue once the head is cut off of it. Now, an exhaust bolt or something rusty is another story!

Quick Reply: Stripped a rod bolt to hell