Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need an answer

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an answer

I have a 2002 LS1 that sounded/ran great when I bought it. Last summer it had about 5 passes down the track so I could get an idea of where my times are and what my mod considerations should be. Over the last few months I have noticed this sound that always happens at WOT, but on occasion does happen during normal driving as well, just not as pronounced. To explain the sound I guess it would have to be like the chirping sound of a whistle, but not as high pitched. I have installed new exhaust manifold gasket, but still getting the same sound. I'm looking for constructive ideas on what the problem could be. Please help.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Things that might chirp at WOT but not at other times would include belts and power steering pumps.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Does it affect the drivability of the car?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bo's 98 TA
Does it affect the drivability of the car?
Doesn't effect drivability at all. I'm just worried maybe it's problems with the timing chain, valves, lifters, or something else I'm not thinking of. I haven't been able to isolate the sound and it only happens while in gear. I've done revs in park and nothing happens.
I did also notice that after I changed to a larger MAF the car started shifting earlier (not saying the MAF was the problem). I went back to OEM size, but still having the same problem. This may be contributing to the "chirping" b/c it seems to chirp almost like it's out of time. It doesn't seem like the car is downshifting when it should and it up-shifts too early.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darkman
Things that might chirp at WOT but not at other times would include belts and power steering pumps.
I know what you mean. I'm very familiar with the "belt squeaks" but this sound is different.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Some suggestions please?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

I had a 4 banger that chirped like a cricket at 4600 rpm at WOT. I found the issue was a leak in one of my intake couplers. Probably not your issue but an idea.