Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little cam advice for a turbo application

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little cam advice for a turbo application

So I have a couple questions, I have a friend who recently got the torquer v3 for there car, it made it about 400 miles and spun a bearing. Now he is considering going with a turbo application either it be 5.3 or 408 w.e he has the funds for. However after looking at the specs of this cam and thoughts my decision were that this cam was not a good turbo cam or any sort. What are your guys thoughts/suggestions on this situation? He simply stated he didnt want to get another cam when this one was good, his knowledge of cams is very minimal as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will go custom cam made for turbo or get a cam that was design to work with boost!! Thats how you get the most of your turbo/supercharger remember everything has to work together!! Ask your friend why he didn't install a cam made for boost on his N/A car? Im not saying it wont run but how much are you leaving on the table?? cam only cost 350-400!!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
I will go custom cam made for turbo or get a cam that was design to work with boost!! Thats how you get the most of your turbo/supercharger remember everything has to work together!! Ask your friend why he didn't install a cam made for boost on his N/A car? Im not saying it wont run but how much are you leaving on the table?? cam only cost 350-400!!
this is exactly what ive already stated as well, his initial plan was to possible spray the car but the idea went south in a hurry after spinning a bearing. My question though is what are your guys thoughts of using the v3 as a turbo cam?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The torquer v3 is not a good boost cam at all IMO. When you are looking for a boost cam you want something that is going to get you into boost quickly and won't bleed off boost. The v3 has a 111 LSA which will bleed off boost because of the overlap, so typically you want a cam with a 114 LSA or similar. Feel free to give us a call or shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on it.