Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much will bad o2's make my engine run poorly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much will bad o2's make my engine run poorly.

I run a turbo ls6 in an off road car and recently it has been running sluggish, I would have guessed the distributer was retarded if it had one or one cylinder was not fireing.

Did a comp test all were exactly the same,
new plugs, old ones looked fine.
Visual look over valve's
pulled the code and it says both o2 sensors have issues.
it's a very rich SD tune that kills my wideband every season. Factory o2 are 3 seasons old.

Does the SD tune use the o2's?
will bad o2 make a big difference?
Any other ideas.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

On my SD tune the front ones are used. I have the rears plugged and no cats to worry about.

I believe the front ones are critical to the tune and are fairly easy to swap out provided you aren't running Kooks 1 7/8 headers (which I am).

It is my understanding (which is far from comprehensive on the subject) the sensors are still needed to monitor A/F ratio. In total my car utilizes the IAT, coolant temp, O2 and MAP sensors to keep track of the running condition of the motor. My MAF serves as a pass thru/IAT sensor holder.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The computer of the car uses the front O2s and the MAF to determine how much fuel to dump in the motor. If the front O2s are fouled then the computer will just overload the motor with fuel to stay safe because it doesn't know whats going on. This will cause the car to run pretty bad, it will have some problems idling and it will definately have a noticeable hesitation when you give the car some throttle.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Great info, my wideband is fouled out so I have no readings. I want to lean it out a bit but can't fork out another $700 for HP tuner.

No MAF.
The factory o2's I run are about 24" after the turbo's. One on each side, nothing after.

When I add the new o2's how long will it take to relearn the tune?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Also any o2's I should get or just call napa. Also need another o2 WB for my uego
Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant speak for the wideband (its a different sensor) but i run Denso O2s in my WS.6. Got em from Rockauto pretty cheap.

If it kills your wideband every season, your narrow band O2s are most likely toast.