Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wat you think about 32 valves LS1????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know if anyone has pointed this out yet but line up a stock ZO6 vette vs. a Stock 03 cobra...lets see here 5.7 ltr pushrod v8 400+hp vs DOHC 4.6ltr v8w/8psi intercooled roots blower 400+hp lol and the cobra motor im sure has larger dimensions...so pound for pound they have the same power but look at the gas mileage i know the cobras is rated at 22mph highway with the 6 speed and id assume the ZO6 is around 25mph so if hp isnt being beat & mpg isnt being beat & space saved isnt WTF were they thinking?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stroke on the 4.6 really isnt that bad at 3.55.the 5.4 gets a little long at 4.16 but there are still guys buzzing the 5.4 to 8000.

also what a company does and what a company is capable of doing are two diffrent things.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Line up a 1990 ZR1 (they were the fast ones) and a 2004 Z06 on any track or street. I think you'll find the LS1/LS6 pushrod engine wins everytime.

Less cost, more power, more durable, easier to work on, the list goes on and on....

I think you'll see GM as a whole is moving away from OHV configurations and moving back to pushrods. The only OHV engines GM uses now are the Northstars...and that is a late '80's design engine.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen some pretty amazing zr1,s!!!

i was at a 1 mile top speed race and there was n/a 415ci. zr1 that produced 680rwhp,and this was with parts that are 10 years old.this engine DOES have more potential.if it were still in production after this long it would have probably been making over 500hp out of the factory easy.

btw....that zr1 went 190mph in one mile the only other faster n/a car was a viper that developed over 700rwhp and it went 191.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
put down the crack pipe and go back to science 101

Aluminum is a MUCH better conductor of head than iron. Aluminum motors run cooler than iron versions.

Ever heard of air cooled engines (from your above automotive aptitude, you probubly have no idea what I'm talking about )?
to 2001camaroguy:
uhm, i think you should go back to 1401 chemistry and ask your professor which one is strong, iron or aluminum.
and for your automotive aptitude, i really dont what you talk about when you can not see which element is stronger in which application.
one more thing , son. my knowledge in science far more than you big brain can think.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:24 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VietRacingGuy
to 2001camaroguy:
uhm, i think you should go back to 1401 chemistry and ask your professor which one is strong, iron or aluminum.
and for your automotive aptitude, i really dont what you talk about when you can not see which element is stronger in which application.
one more thing , son. my knowledge in science far more than you big brain can think.
where in his reply did he say anything about strength. you said iron was a better heat conductor which its not and he simply pointed out that aluminum was a better conductor of heat which it is. period.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
where in his reply did he say anything about strength. you said iron was a better heat conductor which its not and he simply pointed out that aluminum was a better conductor of heat which it is. period.

bingo.......never said anything about strength......

to 2001camaroguy:
looks like you get the for today........

I'm going to have to put the up on your "science and automotive aptitude" as you can't even correctly read a response or write a sentence that has some resemblance of good grammar to it.......

NEXT (troll)!!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

yep thats why you can run higher Comp with out Detination, Aluminum is a better
Conductor than Iron.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Launching!

wow, that is alot of opinion. thanks.
well, i found out about the valves and cam stuff along time ago when i decide to get me a camaro z28. i made a lot of research to see which car has the best performance that my dollars can get.
camaro z28 LS1 has less power than twin turbo supra. but if i put a supercharger or turbo in this LS1 monster, it could have more than 500 HP with stock displacement
LS1 is a big engine 5.7 liter. so i think it is made up for what it does not have. toyota 8 cylinder engine in the new 2005 supra produce 350 HP, and it is only 4.0 liter, but with twin cam and dual valves,
to me, GMC is the best in making V8. my second favorite is toyota. i dont like honda b/c they love to put Type R sticker on their slow cars.
and one more thing Aluminum is not a good heat conductor like iron, but it is lighter, about half when compare to iron.
thats the thing though,twin turbo supra(not much more power)
take away the turbos and then you can compare the two engines
supra has less power
i agree, gm is awsome in the engineering department of there engines
you cant find another engine that is as light, same size, natruly asperated,
and be more powerful.

and i dissagree with iron being a better heat conductor, aluminum conducts,and disapates heat faster and better than iron.
they would not use aluminum as a heat sink for electronics( amps, sterios, coputers, radeators, ect...) if it didnt
Old 01-20-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Whew! I can't believe I read the whole thing! Like most guys on here, I would much rather have my OHV LS1 for reasons already stated.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

to 2001camaroguy:
Lb for Lb some types of Aluminum are "stronger" (in tension,compression and shear) than some types of Iron.
Your science teacher will agree with me on that if they know anything about metallurgy.

I would provide examples but since "you big brain can think" so well I shouldn't have to.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lerajie
I would provide examples but since "you big brain can think" so well I shouldn't have to.
.... .... ......... again....

I guess we should go a little easier on him but his anger is just so much fun
Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
my understanding is the new Z07 will be a 32valve, not to be confused with the C6 LS2 which will still be a 16 valve.. Also they are working on electric Valve Timing Like in the new BMW's..
the ZO7 is going to be a 6.3L w/ 24 valves. That's 3 valves per cylinder. It is 2 intake and 1 exhaust valve. The C6 runs a 6.0 w/ 16 valves.

Just thought you 'd like to know.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

all i can say is why go with four cams when gm can prodruce 500+ hp with one, yea the imports have 4 valves per cyl but they still have no power compared to a ls1/ls6
Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver6sp
all i can say is why go with four cams when gm can prodruce 500+ hp with one, yea the imports have 4 valves per cyl but they still have no power compared to a ls1/ls6
imports also have like 1/4 the displacement
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
the ZO7 is going to be a 6.3L w/ 24 valves. That's 3 valves per cylinder. It is 2 intake and 1 exhaust valve. The C6 runs a 6.0 w/ 16 valves.

Just thought you 'd like to know.
Here's the Z07 picture again. Check the size of the ports.

http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/35c6head2.jpg
Old 01-27-2004, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

what about a ohv 4 valve head that bolts onto our short block. thats what i want to see. more valve surface, more cfm, and more velocity.

also, alot of you guys are comparing alot of detuned motors 4valve motors to the ls1. dont get me wrong i really think that the ls1 was handed down by god along with the lt-5 and the new and old hemi. but these motors you are compairing are either ford , in a family car that still produces 300+ hp, or a detuned as hell (lt-5)

oh, and whitehawk you compared the new hemi saying it made same as a ls1 and less than a ls6 i hate to sound mean but duh, dodges new hemi is their common truck motor to compare it to a high performance motor only offerd in a zo6 come on man. and it holds up to the ls1 to bad for the iron block. not sure if you were insinuating if the new hemi has 4 valves or not but fyi it doesn't actually they changed the angle of the valves so it would be more unleaded gas friendly. so you compared a 2 valve against a 2 valve sorry to single you out but thats the main thread that bugged me.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Hey, I know everybody is having a grand ole time with this one, but don't forget, when it comes to big-***, no-holds-barred peformance, the top engines have DOHC. T/F Hemi, IndyCar, any Le Mans runner.

This is like the argument about whether a man or woman is stronger. Amusing when you're talking in a relative sense, but when you reach the literal extremes, there's no contest. Not that there's anything wrong with that,and I mean this in the nicest possible. way ....
Old 01-30-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread really makes you appreciate what we have
Old 01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Scott Turvey]Hey, I know everybody is having a grand ole time with this one, but don't forget, when it comes to big-***, no-holds-barred peformance, the top engines have DOHC. T/F Hemi, IndyCar, any Le Mans runner.[QUOTE]
last i heard the top fuelers we're not dohc and only had 2 valves

Quick Reply: wat you think about 32 valves LS1????