Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L short block rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3L short block rebuild

I have the opportunity to get my hands on a disassembled 5.3L short block. Everything is in good working order, with the exception of a couple of the pistons having light damage. I would be using this for a turbo build, and was wondering if I should just try to find a couple stock pistons and drop them in, or pick up a set of Wiseco forged pistons. I planned on using ARP rod bolts, studs, and head bolts. The parts are free, so if I just used a couple stock pistons to replace the damaged ones I could have a really affordable short block to throw my 317's and LS6 intake on. Power goals with a 5.3L would be about 700 HP.

What would you do?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock pistons would work just fine. I used a 100% stock shortblock 5.3 making 640whp for 3 years... Stock bearings are softer and one finally gave... but the pistons still look perfect. I'd use stock ones.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was kind of leaning towards. The cheapest I could find the Wiseco's was around $540 - and that kind of throws a wrench in my "budget build".

The short block is currently disassembled, so is there anything that is a "cheap" upgrade that would make it better in some way, or should I just leave it all as is for $0 (plus the price of a couple stock pistons) and roll with it?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
Yeah, that's what I was kind of leaning towards. The cheapest I could find the Wiseco's was around $540 - and that kind of throws a wrench in my "budget build".

The short block is currently disassembled, so is there anything that is a "cheap" upgrade that would make it better in some way, or should I just leave it all as is for $0 (plus the price of a couple stock pistons) and roll with it?

Get good bearings. Some people say rod bolts.. but I dont see a weakness in them. Mine took one hell of a beating and are fine.

Quick Reply: 5.3L short block rebuild