Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vavle train ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vavle train ticking?

I recently installed a set of stock rockers with the Harland sharp turion upgrade, and the sewing machine sound started.(my motor was quiet before) I am now wondering if I installed them correctly, I did some research and I went and did it again assuming I did it wrong in the first place. The ticking sound remains. Now I have come to the conclusion that either the bearings in the rockers are bad like this thread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html
or... the shaft that the rockers now sit on is slightly larger, well large enough to make a difference in the pushrod length. (I am going to remove one rocker and measure the difference tommorow) Ok, little back ground or engine info: 2001 ls1, Stage 1 TEA 241 heads milled 0.030 with 0.040 cometic head gaskets, 7.375L pushrods, Futural F5 226/230 cam.
I don't have a pushrod length checker so that won't work but I do have a set of 7.4L pushrods that I can put in. Now my question is, since my PTV clearance is already tight, will putting a longer pushrod possibly cause a valve to piston collision?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

While I am not a HS fan by any means, the thread highlighted was the first thread that I read with their trunnion upgrade going bad. I do have heard nothing but good thing from the Comp's trunnion upgrade, no noise coming from valve trains or anything. Not saying there might be some one out there.

Have you contacted HS about the issue? If so let us know what they say and do. I personally would not drive that thing at all though.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As I recall, the issue with the HS upgrade was on earlier sets with a specific bearing. Did you buy these rockers used or is this a recent installation from HS? I didn't think the shaft size was changed with the upgrade such that the rocker height should be the same, i.e., it shouldn't effect the required pushrod length or geometry of the rocker. Do you have the old stock rockers? What you could do is count turns from zero lash with the old stock rocker and the upgraded one to see if there is any difference in the number of turns. That would at least provide an indication that something in the geometry has changed and needs to be investigated further.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Launching!

I had a spare set of rockers that I got modified about 2 1/2 years ago, but I just installed them last week. I do have my stock rockers, so I could put them back in. I will definately take some measurements tonight and figure out if the geometry has changed or if the rockers have bad bearings.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do the comp cams trunion upgrade to the stockers you have and just sell the HS set.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Last night I pulled a rocker to find that my rockers do have the bad bearings, I will be contacting Harland sharp.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Update. I reinstalled my stock rockers and the ticking is gone I talked to Harland sharp, and they said if the bearings are stamped INA, they need to be replaced. I am sending my rockers for repair today. BTW I would buy harland sharp again because there customer service is EXELLENT!

Last edited by FDLS1; 08-18-2010 at 11:24 AM.