Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose a failing lifter(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
this thread is exactly what i was looking for. i have the same issue w/my '98 TA Ws6 with 67,xxx. oil holds steady as well, 55-60psi, no leaks, not burning oil, not spun bearing(s). from 1500-2000rpm it makes the same noise and shakes the **** out of the steering column, all noise on the passenger side as well.

i have picked up a low milage used set of lifters in excellent condition to replace the current ones. same with pushrods. only thing i dont have are rockers.

it sucks you have not resolved your issue, and im sure like mine, the motor runs strong, power everywhere, but the noise is annoying, embarassing, and hair-pulling to fix.
I'm still right there with you.. I honestly think that with these high lift cams with smaller base circles and stiff valve springs, that the oiling and stock lifters (even new LS7's, like in my case) just dont have enough pressure/ flow to keep up with the stiff dual valve springs in some cases.. I think they are borderline at best - some guys are ok and some are not.. I think a top of the line morel lifters might help fix the problem, but honestly, I am tired of throwing more and more time & money at this thing.. I'm seriously contemplating throwing stock heads, cam and springs back on the thing and just drive it... I've spent probably 2-3 months, countless hours over the fenders, countless hours in front of this computer and easily a couple grand.. Extra power just isnt worth all the time and money this has caused me..
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am thinking you are having oiling issues, but it would be weird to split it across cylinder 6 & 8 versus 7 & 8 or cross bank cylinders. I am wondering if it is internal, cam bearings, or oil galley respective to 6 & 8.

Did you hear this engine run with stock cam and springs in the troublesome RPM range?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I am thinking you are having oiling issues, but it would be weird to split it across cylinder 6 & 8 versus 7 & 8 or cross bank cylinders. I am wondering if it is internal, cam bearings, or oil galley respective to 6 & 8.

Did you hear this engine run with stock cam and springs in the troublesome RPM range?
No.. I never head it run, but it was a stolen recovery '04 C5 with 14k miles... I bought the whole car.. Everything I took out -cam, heads, oil pump, intake, lifters, etc... All looked very clean and in perfect condition for that matter.. Cylinders all still had the cross hatching in them.. Although,anything is still possible I guess.. When I get the car back next week, Im going to warm the motor up to operating temp and then pull the valve covers one at a time and watch the oil flow at each p/r.. that will help me decide which direction I go... Back to stock or let it rock. I could do a new short block, but I'm trying to avoid pulling the motor & trans again...
Old 09-19-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious because if it is something internal, then the symptoms may not go away by going back to stock, although the stock parts would put much less stress on all of the parts.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Just curious because if it is something internal, then the symptoms may not go away by going back to stock, although the stock parts would put much less stress on all of the parts.
You're exactly right.. That was my thinking.. It don't cost me a lot to go back to stock and try it. Worst case, I buy a new long block and I have a boat load of almost new parts to sell.. Sickening thing now is I've spent more than a new crate motor would have cost.. Oh well. Live and learn!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

oh, the only other difference aside from being stock, is that mine occurs on the driver's side, not passenger.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Could a cam bearing cause oil restriction to the lifters? I could understand an oil galley or lifter bore port being plugged, but what else internal could cause it? Could it be the lifters traveling farther with more lift and a smaller base circle, like mine, the under-cut oil pocket area on the lifter may actually just travel outside the lifter bore momentarily allowing oil and pressure to bleed off?? I noticed like on Morel's & Lunati's that the lifters are taller and this oil pocket in the center is longer. Assuming that is why.. I've decided to not go stock just yet.. Im going to check the oil flow out all of the pushrods 1st and if everything looks ok, I might just try a set of Morels... If that dont fix it, then I guess the motor has to come out..
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
Could a cam bearing cause oil restriction to the lifters? I could understand an oil galley or lifter bore port being plugged, but what else internal could cause it? Could it be the lifters traveling farther with more lift and a smaller base circle, like mine, the under-cut oil pocket area on the lifter may actually just travel outside the lifter bore momentarily allowing oil and pressure to bleed off?? I noticed like on Morel's & Lunati's that the lifters are taller and this oil pocket in the center is longer. Assuming that is why.. I've decided to not go stock just yet.. Im going to check the oil flow out all of the pushrods 1st and if everything looks ok, I might just try a set of Morels... If that dont fix it, then I guess the motor has to come out..
I am pretty sure you wouldn't have 50# @ hot idle with a spun cam bearing, it should cause an internal leak and drop pressure, assuming your pressure gauge is accurate. Here is a schematic of the oil system.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

ok, real quick update. still gonna take a couple of days of driving to determine if its the primary part of the issue, or just a small part. messed around with my plug wires today, to try to see if any were loose, none really felt loose, but kinda moved them around a tad. i have a slight oil leak at the valve cover (under warranty, and i need to take it in for another oil leak, main seal i think), which is directly over the rear spark plug on the driver's side. i still heard a bit of the sewing machine click, but not nearly as loud as would be normal, and the car felt like a new animal. so, need to get that in and taken care of soon.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Banned

i have this very same noise in my brand new ls6 motor that i bought from don hardy off here it sounds as if the rocker arms are gonna fly off the heads it rattles so much i am at a stand still mine is on the passenger side just like yours is i havent pulled the valve cover yet to see if the rocker arms has backed off some how i am gonna do it in the morning and if it does make any kinda difference i will post it back up. i did call patriot performance today and asked them is it normal for a ls motor to have some valve train noise and steven @ patriot told me yes that his makes a good bit of noise but i am with you its embarassing to have a pile of money in a BRAND NEW MOTOR and it sound like this my motor has less than 600 miles on it and sounds excatly like racing jasons does so i am stumped also hope i can figure this out soon it driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update for me, has been the following:

after a couple of days I have removed the everything but the drivers side head off the car. After initially pulling the valvecovers and removing the rockers and pushrods, neither showing damage, bent or broken parts, I pulled the passenger side head last night. What a f'n pain!!!

I removed the lifters and nothng looked out of the ordinary. However I have one question. I bough a set of lifters fromout of a used '98 TA with very low miles. The thing is, they are a different design than what I pulled out of my car. I know I wasn't screwed with the lifters I bought, but at what point did the lifters change design? Is one better than the other? Also, is the oritentatin of the oiling hole on the lifter critical? Some of the lifters had the hole facing up and the others were facing down.

I'll post a pic of the two different lifters designs in a little bit. I want to finish pulling the driverside head off the car first.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Oil hole direction on the lifters does not matter.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slap(A)hoe
i have this very same noise in my brand new ls6 motor that i bought from don hardy off here it sounds as if the rocker arms are gonna fly off the heads it rattles so much i am at a stand still mine is on the passenger side just like yours is i havent pulled the valve cover yet to see if the rocker arms has backed off some how i am gonna do it in the morning and if it does make any kinda difference i will post it back up. i did call patriot performance today and asked them is it normal for a ls motor to have some valve train noise and steven @ patriot told me yes that his makes a good bit of noise but i am with you its embarassing to have a pile of money in a BRAND NEW MOTOR and it sound like this my motor has less than 600 miles on it and sounds excatly like racing jasons does so i am stumped also hope i can figure this out soon it driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just curious.. Is this new LS6 motor bone stock, or did you do some mods before you put it in?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

its built with all forged internals cam heads and intake.

i dont know how this makes any sence what i am bout to say but today i decided to delete my pcv so i could keep the oil from getting in my intake so i went to auto zone and bought the stuff i need to do it with and after i did the delete my valve train noise and quiet down alot no where near as loud as it was.....
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

well the noise gremlin is back in mine now same as it was i dont know what else to do either but buy a ford lmao
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Any updates on these issues. I recently put a cammed Lq9 in my 2002 camaro. I got the motor out of a 2001 Silverado with 78000 miles one it. I am having the same problem. I started the motor without the trans hooked up when i first put it in. I wanted to make sure there werent any issues with the motor. It sounded amazing No knocking or anything. I hooked the trans up and it sounded the same as the op. I havent had the car tuned yet but at idle its fine. It is also coming from #7 and #8
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having same issue

Quick Reply: How to diagnose a failing lifter(s)