Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 car with MS3 cam...lacking power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it to the local track today and I wasn't very impressed. First of all, this track was prepped terribly. I actually get traction on the street if I launch the car...not so much at this track. But we don't really care about ETs for this discussion...check out the trap speeds...

60': 2.469
1/8: 9.164
MPH: 83.80

60': 2.504
1/8: 9.248
MPH: 84.27

60': 2.476
1/8: 9.188
MPH: 84.75

My last Camaro was an '02 SS auto and it ran an 8.7 @ 83MPH stock! 8.4 @ 86MPH with LT headers and a tune! Something isn't right here...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So the car is underperforming, how much of the history of the car do you actually know. Did you visually confirm that it has an MS3 or is that just what the previous owner told you?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

I only know what he told me but even if it isn't an MS3 it should be trapping higher than that. It clearly has a healthy cam in it so it should be doing a better job than the stocker. The clutch felt kinda mushy after each run but it didn't feel like it was slipping...no noticeable RPM climbing without going anywhere or anything like that (other than the spinning of course).

I guess it really is valve float? I'm going to replace the clutch for good measure too but I don't think that is the culprit...just a precautionary measure.

Here is an idle video...not a good way to identify a cam but at least you can hear that it's at least pretty healthy if not the MS3. The previous owner did give me a cam card though...not sure if you can print those off anywhere or not so I'm not sure how much that helps the case.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Your 60's are so bad that it could be hurting your MPH, many times you can still get a good indication of MPH regardless of spin, but your spinning an obscene amount...
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Yea...not really sure what I can do about that. I could try a different track I guess. I tried everything...first go around I launched it at 2000, second at 1500, and then finally I just revved it and let it fall down to around 1500-2000 and half rode the clutch for a second before I went. Nothing worked. I don't have any suspension work though so I'm not really complaining but I still can't believe how bad the track prep was.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stereotypicalv8guy
Yea...not really sure what I can do about that. I could try a different track I guess. I tried everything...first go around I launched it at 2000, second at 1500, and then finally I just revved it and let it fall down to around 1500-2000 and half rode the clutch for a second before I went. Nothing worked. I don't have any suspension work though so I'm not really complaining but I still can't believe how bad the track prep was.
What tires are you on? Regardless of tires, you shouldn't just drop the clutch (on the stock rear), it will just shock the tires and do what your doing... your gonna have to slip the clutch out to get a decent 60'. Even on street tires you should be able to manage a 2.0 60' slipping the clutch, just takes a little practice.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is moronic! You start talking about being down on power cause you can't spin the tires, then you post track times with 60ft's in the 2.5's? Its no wonder you ran shitty times. Then to top it all off you say, "we don't care about E.T.'s just look at trap speed". An MS3 and stock gearing is about as far from a good 1/8 mile set up as you can get! I can easily imagine how a stock A4 Z28 could run better times in the 8th then this car. My advice to you is go trade this car off on a civic, and buy a stereo. You'll be much better off...
Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MPFD
This thread is moronic! You start talking about being down on power cause you can't spin the tires, then you post track times with 60ft's in the 2.5's? Its no wonder you ran shitty times. Then to top it all off you say, "we don't care about E.T.'s just look at trap speed". An MS3 and stock gearing is about as far from a good 1/8 mile set up as you can get! I can easily imagine how a stock A4 Z28 could run better times in the 8th then this car. My advice to you is go trade this car off on a civic, and buy a stereo. You'll be much better off...
You make some decent points, but no need to get out of line. He was stating we only care about the trap speed because we were trying to judge the power of the car, which is a perfectly acceptable. Is stock gears and an MS3 a good 1/8th mile car? No, not at all, but your criticism and civic comments aren't helping him in any way.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Magnet
What tires are you on? Regardless of tires, you shouldn't just drop the clutch (on the stock rear), it will just shock the tires and do what your doing... your gonna have to slip the clutch out to get a decent 60'. Even on street tires you should be able to manage a 2.0 60' slipping the clutch, just takes a little practice.
Well, it's on the stock clutch so I wasn't trying to end it's life that night. But thanks for the advice...I'll give it a shot after I have replaced the clutch.

Hey *******, maybe you're not a big fan of reading but you should really give it a shot before you start pounding away at that little keyboard of yours. I'll break it down for you in a format you might be able to understand.

*Car does not spin on the street. The track prep was terrible.

*I don't care about ETs for the sake of the power argument. I only went with the intent of seeing what the car would trap so that I could see what kind of power it has.

*So you're trying to tell me that the stock 3.42 gearing is costing me oh let's say 5MPH trap speed? I have personally trapped 93.95MPH in an f-body that put down 413/414 so I would think that 90MPH isn't out of the question for a cam only f-body.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I've read this whole thread (several times actually) over the last month. The only thing we've really learned here is that your an idiot that shouldn't be allowed to run a leaf blower, much less a motor vehicle...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

lol whatever corn-fed. I don't really care about the opinion of someone who probably ***** his sister. You're just mad because you're fat.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I've read this whole thread (several times actually) over the last month. The only thing we've really learned here is that your an idiot that shouldn't be allowed to run a leaf blower, much less a motor vehicle...
people like this is what pisses me off about internet forums. If you think the op is an idiot why are you reading his thread and why are you commenting. So op hope you get your car fixed and dont let forum cowboys or trolls get you down.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Seriously? Just leave...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I've dealt with people like him before so it's all good. Thanks a lot to those who have offered up suggestions without criticism.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

That's cause you are using truck for racing .. dad not allowing you to buy a sport car ?

Truck Racer loool ..

About the MS3 problem .. i think you need to change those valve springs
Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Stealth Camaro
That's cause you are using truck for racing .. dad not allowing you to buy a sport car ?

Truck Racer loool ..

About the MS3 problem .. i think you need to change those valve springs
Your just mad cause I can pull you to the track smoke you, then pull you back home...
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Your just mad cause I can pull you to the track smoke you, then pull you back home...
doubt it
Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

I'm sure that your working with highway services company loool ... Tel your dad that you are finally reach 19 so you have the right to own an Iroc camaro
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Cold Zero
I'm sure that your working with highway services company loool ... Tel your dad that you are finally reach 19 so you have the right to own an Iroc camaro
Great spelling... Like these?

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...pictureid=3584

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...pictureid=3585
Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really need to get your 60ft down. You shouldn't be dropping the clutch on these cars to begin with, Even with bad prep and street tires you should cut low 2's, maybe 2.1-2.2 60fts is normal. Slip the clutch out around 2500 3k. The fact that you trapped 83 84 with a 2.5 60ft is actually pretty good but it's all little things that add up in the end.

Quick Reply: M6 car with MS3 cam...lacking power?