Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on getting heads checked

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on getting heads checked

Hey guys, I need a new pair of heads for my TA and am probably going to pick up a used set off of a '98 for $80.

Searching through some threads it sounds like I'll want to bring them to a machine shop to get the heads checked for straightness and check the valves. I called up RPM Engineering here in Faribault and they quoted me $115 to clean both heads, completely check them over, and make sure the valves are seating properly. Does this sound like a good price to you guys or should I keep shopping around? They're the only machine shop in town but I'm close to the Twin Cities so my options are somewhat open. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam86
Hey guys, I need a new pair of heads for my TA and am probably going to pick up a used set off of a '98 for $80.

Searching through some threads it sounds like I'll want to bring them to a machine shop to get the heads checked for straightness and check the valves. I called up RPM Engineering here in Faribault and they quoted me $115 to clean both heads, completely check them over, and make sure the valves are seating properly. Does this sound like a good price to you guys or should I keep shopping around? They're the only machine shop in town but I'm close to the Twin Cities so my options are somewhat open. Thanks!
The last set I had sent out cost $72 to have cleaned and checked.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you can go look for a used set of LS6's off a Z06 or GTO, you may not be paying much more and they are a better head, heck even 2001+ LS1 head would be better.

As far as price, that sounds right.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. I am looking to get away from this as cheap as possible and don't want to buy new valve covers. Also, I am going FI soon so I don't want to bump up my compression at all. If I could find some 6.0 heads for dirt cheap, that would probably be the only thing I would swap out for over '98 heads.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd start searching, untill you pony up for the 5K FI set up having a bump is not going to hurt you.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Aren't you limited to those graphite head gaskets with the old 853 heads? I don't know if you would want to have to use those with boost.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Turbo is already bought and is in the living room. It's funny **** isn't it? Nothing goes wrong with this damn car until I shell out the cash for that damn turbo!$&*#*@)@!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KCS
Aren't you limited to those graphite head gaskets with the old 853 heads? I don't know if you would want to have to use those with boost.
How do you mean? I haven't heard that before. But honestly the most I plan on pushing out for quite a while until I get better heads is going to be 7-8psi.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

How do you mean? I haven't heard that before. But honestly the most I plan on pushing out for quite a while until I get better heads is going to be 7-8psi.
Had to dig way back, but I found it...

Originally Posted by 427
Ryan, some early cylinder heads had 2 small cast in notches along the spark plug side on the gasket surface. If your heads have these you cannot use the newer mls gaskets or the engine will leak water externally along the block edge. If you have these notches you will need the graphite gasket to seal the water system.
Kurt
This happened to a good friend of mine just recently. He mistakenly used the MLS gaskets and water leaked everywhere. I think they were the 853's, but Kurt Urban (427) has mentioned above how to tell.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

I was just quoted $80 to mill my heads, then another $40 to have them disassembled and checked out. Hopefully that all includes cleaning too.

Quick Reply: Question on getting heads checked