Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant light coming on usually when hot, radiator and overflow always seem full

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant light coming on usually when hot, radiator and overflow always seem full

My wife`s `98 Trans Am is having an issue where the coolant level light is always coming on, and some times it doesnt come on until the car gets up to temperature. She doesn`t have any over heating problems. It always stays below 210, even in really hot weather. I just went to check the coolant levels after about an hour and a half of sitting, and the radiator is filled to the top, and there is plenty of coolant in the overflow tank. Anyone know what could be causing this? The light doesn`t seem to come as often when the engine is cool.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possible air in the cylinder head... try running the car with the cap off the overflow tank and squeeze the rad hoses multiple times to attempt to "burp" the system... also try it with the rad cap off too... good luck... o yea the fluid gets hot also hha so watchout
Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The low coolant sensor is dirty. It is rectangular and a few inches below the radiator cap. IIRC it is held on with a little clip. Pull it out and clean it up and it should stay off.....
Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started doing this a while back, I took it out and cleaned it a few times, but it always came back on after a few months, ended up unplugging the sensor. Just keep an eye on your coolant level manually. A replacement sensor is around70 bucks
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same issue in my 98 WS6. I flushed the coolant and thought I burped/bled it enough, so there shouldn't be any air in there. I also pissed away $50 on a new coolant level sensor only to have the damn light come back on everytime the car gets up to operating temps. This is very annoying. If the coolant isnt low, and the sensor is new, what else is there to check?

I checked the connections at the plug and they seem fine. This light is driving me mad.