Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and LS6 interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 and LS6 interchangeability

1st off, I promise I searched...here, corvette forums, caddy forums, camaro forums old hot rod articles, car craft articles, etc

I'm exhausted; actually tired of reading and reading and reading all of this runaround crap without actual answers. . .what I know:

LS6 is a stronger version of the LS1 with bigger cooling windows to support the higher rev limits (500RPM). The bore and stroke is the same, and the cam and heads are mildly more aggressive than the LS1. The materials in the Pistons are different as well.

Because of the bigger cooling windows, it is not recommended that you get too carried away with boring the cylinders.

So for the question:
If the LS6 is just a (layman explaination) better built LS1, why are there not more interchangable mods? Some things I see such as Cams/Heads say LS1/LS6, but more often than not they say LS1 only.

The reason for my question is that I have a really good opportunity to get an 04 CTS-V LS6 with 17K on the clock from a friend for a steal. It has all computers/wiring and a T-56. The price is well below what I would pay anywhere else, but I know that 405 at the crank is only going to keep me entertained for a little while.

If it isn't a good idea to bore, that leaves me pretty much only bolt ons for more HP, and I don't like being too limited in my options. Will everything LS1 fit and work on the LS6?

Thanks!

mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move...there is an internal and external for Gen III. This seemed the best place for it because it is all encompassing for GenIII
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything will swap right over in fact some ls1 camaros and t/a's recieved the ls6 BLOCK from the factory but used the ls1 heads and cam. The engines are virtually identical from the outside and all mods from your car will swap to the new engine.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just about every thing but the ls6 has better parts. later ls1s had the ls6 intake some had the ls6 block get a good cam bolt ons and if its a street car you will be grinnin ear to ear
Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if your putting that ls6 in an f body your gonna need to change the oilpan
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
if your putting that ls6 in an f body your gonna need to change the oilpan
it will be going in a 67 Camaro with an aftermarket frame. I spoke with the manufacturer and they are telling me that it will fit without mods to the oil pan. There is always a slight possibility of tunnel mods being needed.

I figure if 405 HP got the 3800lb fatty caddy to 60 in 4.6 seconds, it'll get my 3000lb Fbody moving down the line pretty quick. For a while at least--until I get one or two runs done and need more power!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i swapped over my ls1 heads, cam, retaining plate etc to a new ls6 bottom end. did go for new ls7 lifters tho and a new set of plastic lifter trays.