Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another head and valve question

Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another head and valve question

ok so i have a 1999 corvette FRC with LS1 motor completely stock I'm looking to begin working on it i just purchased a set of 243 casting LS6 heads from an 02 Z06 with the 02 Z06 valves and valve springs, just to clarify what will i need to change out to make them work on my motor.
Head gasket? should i just get an 02 Z06 gasket or 99 LS1 gasket?
Push rods? use mine or will i need a new set?
cam can i use my stock cam for now until I'm ready to buy a new cam or should i wait on the head swap until i have the new cam?
and any other things that will prevent me from swapping the heads? and other things i will need to do the swap, thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use the 02 head gaskets not sure on the push rods I think you will have to have shorter then stock. If you plan on doing lifters I would wait to do the head swap until you do the cam. Not to mention you will need to upgrade your valve springs when you change cams.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Teching In

oh when u talk of lifters, forgive my ignorance this is my first car with this system I've only had DOHC engines up until this point. The LS1 has lifters in it now correct? these will or will not work in the LS6 heads? but yeah i figured on replacing the entire valve train any one got some recommendations on brands for the parts, ie push rods lifters valves?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ASarsano
oh when u talk of lifters, forgive my ignorance this is my first car with this system I've only had DOHC engines up until this point. The LS1 has lifters in it now correct? these will or will not work in the LS6 heads? but yeah i figured on replacing the entire valve train any one got some recommendations on brands for the parts, ie push rods lifters valves?
Yeah push rod V8s have lifters. On all ls style engines you have to remove the heads to change the lifters. You should contact one of the sponsors----------->>>>>>>

Or you cant go wrong with Geoff from EPS
http://www.engpwrsys.com/
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Teching In

ok thanks for the info, i figured id pick up all the valve train parts prior to pulling the heads so its all ready i can just drop it right in. but thanks, ill contact some vendors n try to get some recommended brands for valve train components
Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks for the info, i figured id pick up all the valve train parts prior to pulling the heads so its all ready i can just drop it right in. but thanks, ill contact some vendors n try to get some recommended brands for valve train components
You really need to know what cam your going to run before you buy upgraded springs. That way you get springs for the cam instead of trying to match a cam to your springs. Besides you may want to mill your heads or run a thinner head gasket to bump up compression. So you will need to have an idea on a cam so you don't have any piston to valve clearance issues. As far as valve spring brands I like Pac 1518s.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Teching In

yeah i know i gotta select a cam first just trying to get ideas of what brands to look into then contact them and try to pick a cam and every thing else lol just taking it one step at a time just got the heads, next i plan to pick a cam, then the springs, retainers, valves, push rods, and lifters
Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i know i gotta select a cam first just trying to get ideas of what brands to look into then contact them and try to pick a cam and every thing else lol just taking it one step at a time just got the heads, next i plan to pick a cam, then the springs, retainers, valves, push rods, and lifters
Try searching the dyno section.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

Remember when buying pushrods that if you are using the LS6 valves they are longer because the LS6 cam had a smaller base circle so you will need to get longer pushrods to compensate but if you mill the heads for more compression this will come into efect also , i am not sure about the numbers but i believe the LS6 cam basecircle was .050in smaller, Eric
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are simply installing the heads for now, use the later MLS gaskets. I wouldn't bother with new pushrods or other parts as everything will go together fine. The lifter preload will change a bit but 0.025" is in the noise. Once you figure out what cam you are going to use later, then decide on the remaining parts. Note that the lightweight valve don't like to have excessive valve spring forces so don't anyone talk you into huge dual springs. You may want to swap in a new set of lifters though while it is apart.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Teching In

just wondering about the valves got a set of 02 Z06 LS6 valves for the heads what hp range are they good for and should i go with aftermarket valves if so any recommended brands?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on the cam your chose.a good cam to consider is a tr224 .use some good valve springs,comp918- pac 1218.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Teching In

what about the valves? stock hollow valves decent?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those are the valves most people want,liter.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Teching In

ok thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

think i got a fair idae of the head n cam set up now
im leaning towards:
243 Casting LS6 heads ill be doing some P&P work on them
The OEM LS6 Valves
TSP Camshaft, PRC Spring Kit & Pushrod Package:
MS4 Cam - Magic Stick V.4 239/242, .649"/.609" Camshaft With 112 LSA
PRC Platinum Spring Kit
Texas Speed Hardened Chromoly Pushrods

COMP Cams 13702-KIT LS1 Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit

Next Up im goging to go stroker and forged Pistons
im thinking Comp H beam Forged Rods, Either eagle or callies Stroker Crank Shaft and Forged Pistons. Posable JE
Then planing to go with a 150 Shot wet nitrous Kit

also have a thread to follow my build: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...c-build-2.html

Search this Thread