Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miller456
Do you still have VATS in your car or did you have it deleted when the car was tuned last? That could also be your problem, just throwing it out there. Friend of mines car had driven great since 2002, then just last week come out from work to start the car all dash lights come on guages work, but when turning the key fwd....nothing not even initiation of the starter and VATS was his problem.
im pretty sure i still have VATS. if this is my problem how do i fix this? or what do i do to test if VATS works or not
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump....can anybody help me?? i really dont want to bring my car to a local tuner bc they will charge me an arm and a leg
Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you think i could be a tooth off with my cam and crank gear?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

If the engine is popping threw the intake or exhaust most likely it is out of time.

Does your engine have an adjustable timing chain???
Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by incbed
If the engine is popping threw the intake or exhaust most likely it is out of time.

Does your engine have an adjustable timing chain???
yea its popping threw the exhaust. no i have a c5r chain. can i get by using this? if so how should i correct the timing?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Did you buy the engine as a short block,,or long block??? reason I ask is because your pushrods could be to long and causing the exhaust valves not to close all the way,,so when the fuel ignites it's automatically sending the pressure out the exhaust valve.

To check your timing you will have to remove the timing chain cover and make sure the crankshaft and cam shaft dots are lined up perfectly.The dots have to be aligned perfectly or it will not run,,even if it's just one tooth off ether way.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by incbed
Did you buy the engine as a short block,,or long block??? reason I ask is because your pushrods could be to long and causing the exhaust valves not to close all the way,,so when the fuel ignites it's automatically sending the pressure out the exhaust valve.

To check your timing you will have to remove the timing chain cover and make sure the crankshaft and cam shaft dots are lined up perfectly.The dots have to be aligned perfectly or it will not run,,even if it's just one tooth off ether way.

Good luck
i bought the parts and had my machine shop assemble the short block. im going to check the timing tonight
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through the same ordeal. It would crank, backfire, crank, crank, etc. but never start. Ended up being a ground on the driver side head, the ring connector sheared from the wire. I say most likely it's wiring somewhere.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wytry
Went through the same ordeal. It would crank, backfire, crank, crank, etc. but never start. Ended up being a ground on the driver side head, the ring connector sheared from the wire. I say most likely it's wiring somewhere.
i thought i didnt connect it but i just checked and i did. any other grounds that would make a difference like that? is there also only one ground on the driver head? i want to check all my wires again before i check the timing
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Banned

My drivers side head has two ground straps.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know fuel injection and coil over style ignition can do some funky things but i think i would definately check the cam timing again. It would really suck to get it to crank and tag a valve or something on a new motor
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
I know fuel injection and coil over style ignition can do some funky things but i think i would definately check the cam timing again. It would really suck to get it to crank and tag a valve or something on a new motor
its dot to dot. going to put it back together tomorrow and if it dosent start just towing it right to my local tuner then il have them solve the issue work out a few things, put on the rest of my parts i didnt get to and tune it.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just got off the phone with my tuner. the problem was that the pushrods were way to long. thank god it was something small and nothing major!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned

excellent news,,,