Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were going to build a 427...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sleeving your LS1 isn't a bad idea at all and we are more than capable in doing that for you. The only catch would be that it has to be an LS1 (2nd Gen) block. If it's the 1st Gen LS1, it's not a good block to sleeve. You can tell quickly by looking at the head studs. If all the head studs are the same length then you're fine.
The cost is reasonable and for us to sleeve yours with our Superdeck I 4 bolt system you would be looking at 2600.00 and that's the sleeves, sleeving, Superdeck I system, block is decked, hot tanked, stress relieved, finish cylinder hone and bore, align honed and bored, doweled billet main caps and ARP main stud kit as well. Pleas let us know if we can help. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Definitely let ERL work on your block or short block. It is well worth it. The fastest LSX cars are running ERL and I decided to get them to build a 427 for me from a new LS2 block. If you are not using forced induction, go as large as you can afford to go. That is, if you want horsepower.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. The ERL stuff looks incredible. I like.

I'm still confused about what heads I should use. I don't know if I have to use different heads based on which block I end up with (LS1/LS2/LS7). And if the heads have to be matched with the 4.125" bore.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You would be able to use all of the heads (even LS7 heads) with a 4.125" bore. For the money, the L92 heads would be the way to go. Just be sure to get the EXHAUST side ported. Your 427 engine would really like the square port heads. The other cathedral-port (stock or aftermarket) heads would work great also. I am assuming that you want to keep costs down as much as possible, while getting a stout HP level.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by darkvader0
Don't mind at all. Honestly, I just like the sound of a 427. When I was a kid, that was the motor that fascinated me. Now I want to build one. I'll be a very happy camper running around in my 99 T/A knowing that there's a 427 under the hood that I built.
I think the same thing, there is something magical about "427". I have looked into this in the past and based on what I have read would go with a sleeved LS2 block. The sleeves provide better piston support for the longer crank throw. I think if you look at the responses by the engine builders in this thread you will see they have also suggested this same approach.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

I knew I wasn't the only one who felt the "calling" of the 427...lol.

It's good to know that the heads are pretty much interchangable between all the LSx blocks. Now I need to figure out which ones I want. This is going into my daily driver, so a very mild-mannered build. I hope I can get 500-550rwhp with my mild-mannered and value-oriented goals.

Also want to learn the specific differences between the LS1 and LS2 block. Like WHY does the LS2 better support the longer stroke. Search time.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldnt it be about the same cost to get an LSX block and have it borred over? just thining that by the time you spend the money to get a used LS2 block which may or may not be sleeveable and have the work done you could have bought an lsx block and went from there..nothing against the sponosrs who do the sleeving as i am sure they know what they are doing.