Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Over heating

Before any of you tell me to search, I have searched lots of times.

On sunday I was on my way back to school (110 mile trip) my water pump goes out while I was on the freeway. The next day I install a new water pump and re-use the old t-stat. Once everything was put together and coolant filled, I hop on the freeway and the temp would not go below 210*. I pull over into a shopping center, change the t-stat with a new one and once again put new coolant in. I drive for about 40 miles and the temp is between 185*-210* and then it jumps above 210*. Once again I pull into a shopping center and let it cool down for about an hour and a half. When I started it up, it was around 180* and quickly jumped to 210* going through the shopping center and getting on the freeway. After being on the freeway for a few miles it drops to 180* and stay there for the rest of the drive. But once I got off the freeway the temp started to rise again.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

98's are supposed to be more accurate than the other years, supposedly mine is supposed to be a dummy gauge but it's done this before. did you bleed the air out of the system? and btw i thought you were selling this car?!?!?!?! lol
Old 09-30-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet its an air pocket. Try filling it with a water hose (slight trickle) through the top water pump hole with the nose in the air a bit. When water spits out the front steam tube between the heads you are done.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I bet its an air pocket. Try filling it with a water hose (slight trickle) through the top water pump hole with the nose in the air a bit. When water spits out the front steam tube between the heads you are done.
A budddy of mine just told me to do that. But I wanna make sure Im doing it right....

I remove the top coolant hole and make sure its point up.

Then I put a hose into the water pump and turn it on with light pressure?

Does the car need to be on or off?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

So I just had the car running for awhile with the radiator cap off. After about 10 minutes or so of just idling the coolant went down maybe about an inch and I quickly filled it back up again and a few minutes later it went down again and I filled it back up. After that I just let the car run for alittle bit to see if it would go down again, I check the temp gague and it was just alittle over 210 and then I look back at the engine and the coolant is just boiling out of the radiator.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

are both of your fans coming on?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

As of right now, I only notice the fans coming on when I turn my a/c on
Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

The fans should come on once your coolant gets to a specific temp. It can be changed in the tune.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by uLs1a
A budddy of mine just told me to do that. But I wanna make sure Im doing it right....

I remove the top coolant hole and make sure its point up.

Then I put a hose into the water pump and turn it on with light pressure?

Does the car need to be on or off?
Yes, Jack the front of the car up untill the front tires just come off the ground. Take off the top coolant hose. Also remove the coolant crossover hose that goes from the crossover to the throttle body. Get a garden hose with just a trickle, I mean flow smaller than a pencil. Insert hose into top water pump port where you removed the hose. With the nose up, the air should move to the front of the engine. With just a trickle of water the motor will fill up slow enough to push all of the air forward out the coolant crossover tube. When water starts to spit out of the coolant crossover tube you are done. Hook everything back up and top off the radiator with coolant. Start motor and watch coolant gauge. When coolant gauge gets to normal, shut engine off and let it cool. Then check radiator coolant level. Fill as needed.....