Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain set from tsp help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question timing chain set from tsp help

i bought an hd timing chain kit from tsp and around 10:30 tonight i went to install it and had an issue. im confused because the bottom sprocket has 8 or 10 different slots that the key can go in. they are marked -4 -2 0 +2 +4 etc... and the teeth have the odd numbers on them. i tried comparing it to the stock one but when i line the groove for the key up on the stock one with the new one the teeth dont line up. they are in between each other. do i put the sprocket on with the groove that has the 0 on it or do i need to put it on another? also how would i line up the dot on the top sprocket with these numbers?? thank you. and i am not old enough to buy a beer lol
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try and keep all your posts about your cam swap in the same thread. It will make it easier on getting you helped as well as keep this section tidy.

Ok, did you get an adjustable timing set? An LS2 chain/set should have been all you really needed.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster18
i bought an hd timing chain kit from tsp and around 10:30 tonight i went to install it and had an issue. im confused because the bottom sprocket has 8 or 10 different slots that the key can go in. they are marked -4 -2 0 +2 +4 etc... and the teeth have the odd numbers on them. i tried comparing it to the stock one but when i line the groove for the key up on the stock one with the new one the teeth dont line up. they are in between each other. do i put the sprocket on with the groove that has the 0 on it or do i need to put it on another? also how would i line up the dot on the top sprocket with these numbers?? thank you. and i am not old enough to buy a beer lol
can you post a picture of the lower and upper sprockets?

I believe you install the crank pin on the inside 0 mark, and then spin the motor so that the outer 0 mark is pointing straight up.. then install the top gear so that the dot lines up with the 0.. sounds like its set up similar to my Manley double set
did it not come with instructions?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

i can get pics but it is at home and im at school right now. sorry about the different thread i didnt know. i will keep it in the same one from now on. my bad. but it just came in a plastic package. no instructions. i have directions from ls1howto but they dont touch on the different slots for the pin. and i was thinkin the same on the zero marks i just wanted to be sure
Old 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooster18
The reason the teeth don't linr up is the factory gears already have a few degrees of advance built into them.......I'm not siure all what you are doing BUT i would follow the cam manufacturers recommended install settings. Some cams already have some advance ground into them. It would be smart to read and learn how to setup your cam with a degree wheel or at least underastand how this all comes into play when installing a cam.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The inside keyway slots are numbered from 0 to 4, plus and minus. If you want no extra advance, put your crank keyway into the slot with 0º on it. Then the tooth that has the little dot needs to go to 12 o'clock and you line them up as you normally would.

To advance it 2º, put your crank keyway into the slot that corresponds to the +2º on the inside numbers....then just line up that same little dot at 12 o'clock with your cam gear at 6 o'clock and let her eat!

As a note: When you are installing it woth NO advance, the crank keyway will NOT be at the 12:00 position. Don't worry about that, it's normal.

There should be instructions on this in the packaging as well, last I checked, that have images to help describe this even better!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

if your following ls1howto make sure to get the correct lifter lash procedure for torquing the rocker arm bolts. At minimum the GM service manual personally i like rotating the engine and having each on the base circle.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

its an ms3 cam, im not sure where to look for the advance specs for this or know where to start. i will do some research or if someone chimes in who knows that would be great. what does advancing the timing do? does it give more power and is it safe??
Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you don't have the degree wheel and rest of the tools to check it, I wouldn't recommend moving it any!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
If you don't have the degree wheel and rest of the tools to check it, I wouldn't recommend moving it any!
Yep better listen to this excellent advice!