Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reuse the gaskets not the tty bolts.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no need to be so hostile.

If the General recommends it be replaced and they are of a known design to be made to only be torqued down once and not reused, then there should be no arguement. Especially for the price.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
There is no need to be so hostile.

If the General recommends it be replaced and they are of a known design to be made to only be torqued down once and not reused, then there should be no arguement. Especially for the price.
LOL yes if you believe gm who likes to make money on parts....trust me on this its all BS. They are no different than any other bolt!

Now if they were overheated or in a high mileage situation by all means change um. But if any of you think the bolts are ruined and stretched after being torqued to specs I want to sell you all bridges. I know LOTS of shops who reuse them.....mostly gm dealerships!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

I only change them in high mileage motors because of two things........the bolts have gone through many many heat cycles AND the most important is i don't know if the engine was ever overheated or run low on coolant. Overheated bolts WILL stretched and will be ruined. Read post 12 and 13 in the thread i posted above too.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
I was not aware that bolts had a mileage change interval. I guess I missed the memo.
John,

Is he getting annoying to you too yet?! hahaha.

Poor guy, he's probably just all hung out and lost in the SBC world of head bolts vs what the LS family TTY bolt is. Two totally different dynamics. My guess is his dealership has no clue either.

Assuming the bolt didn't break on re-torque, it "might" hold in a dead stock LS car...might. Even then you're potentially ending up getting inadequate pressure/seal across the head and ultimately a leaking head gasket.

Here's the funny part: Guess where the car goes when johnny on the spot mechanic doesn't replace the head bolts?! Right back to the same sub-par dealership mechanic to "fix" another leaking head gasket.

The really funny part: My $$$ says that if they are billing per what GM recommends, they are PROBABLY still billing the poor sap customer for the head bolts and putting it in their back pocket. This thread is dead, and so is your credibility HotSilverBird. Please find another board to troll your insanely proven mechanical abilities.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If people have different opinions, its not something to start a huge war over and start spouting obscenities to everyone and calling them dumb as well. Opinions are opinions. Just because you CAN do something doesnt mean you SHOULD. If it has proven successful as far as you know, then YOU are successful as far as you know. The problem is, you could be the cause of the vehicle getting warranty work at another dealer. And by you I definitely mean no one in particular.

That is all opinion. The fact is, they are TTY bolts. The other fact is, they are extremely inexpensive for an entire set. Those 2 should speak for themselves.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Yeah i'm getting anoying because i'm not a sheep like all you guys

BAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAA
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...uetoangle.aspx

An informative article on fasteners....after all he says and teaches, at the end of the article, he still says to replace the bolts. Just sayin! There is alot of good reading on the subject out there, and nobody in this thread so far comes close to being an expert witness on the subject, so I'd recommend calming down (everyone) and trying to be more helpful rather than hostile.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird

BAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAA
haha u got problems dude.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

LOL yes if you believe gm who likes to make money on parts....trust me on this its all BS. They are no different than any other bolt!

Now if they were overheated or in a high mileage situation by all means change um. But if any of you think the bolts are ruined and stretched after being torqued to specs I want to sell you all bridges. I know LOTS of shops who reuse them.....mostly gm dealerships!
Go swallow the stuff under the sink plse.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

BAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAA

Your an idiot. You have no clue what your talking about and you haven't contributed any fact based knowledge to this thread. Go troll some where else.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Ya you tell him Chris.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Teching In

man ole man
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Trolling my butt! tryin to save the guy some cash........... you guys must have great jobs to waste all this money on parts you don,t need.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

There is no need to keep carrying this on. You can stop. The dead horse is of course dead now.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trolling my butt! tryin to save the guy some cash........... you guys must have great jobs to waste all this money on parts you don,t need.
No, we don't have a lot of money. That's why were trying to give the guy some good advice and information that can be backed up with facts. I'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks (as I'm sure he would also) and get it done right the first time around than have to spend three times as much later because I listened to guys like you that don't have the slightest ******* clue as to what their doing. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if you would recommend pouring your used oil through a paper cup filter back into your engine because it would save some guy you don't know $25 for oil. Go show you're ignorance somewhere else.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

$25 per side...

What do you do for a living to where that's unaffordable?

Do you re-use your Spark Plugs too?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

All I can say is if anyone is reading this thread please use some common sense and you can make the right call. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I know I don’t know it all but some people think they do it is up the reader to sift through the garbage that some ignorant people think is good information.

Do your self a favor and call any vendor on this site to get some good advice before you listen to backyard Joe who thinks they know it all.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Me and a buddy ran into this on a hci swap on his car. He had arp bolts and cometic gaskets we reused the gaskets and all is well.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Launching!

WOW. Just wow. First and foremost, let me speak on behalf of most of the GM techs in the field today and just say that we aren't as dumb as you make us out to be. Its this kind of mudslinging that has really driven me away from this site, and I now have a really low tolerance for such behavior. Before you go defaming the few of us that earn a living at these establishments, let me clear it up. Quoted DIRECTLY (cut and pasted) from the GM service manual, SI 2000:

[QUOTE:Service information for 2002 Pontiac Firebird]

Important:
• Do not reuse the cylinder head bolts. Install NEW cylinder head bolts during assembly.
• Do not use any type of sealant on the cylinder head gasket (unless specified).
• The cylinder head gasket must be installed in the proper direction and position.

Caution: Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.

Notice: Clean all dirt, debris, and coolant from the engine block cylinder head bolt holes. Failure to remove all foreign material may result in damaged threads, improperly tightened fasteners or damage to components.

Object Number: 63235 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
1. Clean the engine block cylinder head bolt holes, if required.

Thread repair tool J 42385-107 may be used to clean the threads of old threadlocking material.
2. Spray cleaner GM P/N 12346139, P/N 12377981, (Canadian P/N 10953463), or equivalent into the hole.
3. Clean the cylinder head bolt holes with compressed air.
4. Check the cylinder head locating pins for proper installation.

Object Number: 63169 Size: SH
5. Install the NEW cylinder head gasket onto the locating pins.

Object Number: 490861 Size: SH

Important: when properly installed, the tab on the left cylinder head gasket will be located left of center, or closer to the front of the engine, and the words "This Side Up", and the engine displacement, will be visible.
6. Inspect the gasket for proper installation.

Object Number: 260146 Size: SH
7. Install the cylinder head onto the locating pins and the gasket.
8. Install the NEW cylinder head bolts.

Object Number: 260150 Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
9. Tighten the cylinder head bolts.

Tighten
1. Tighten the M11 cylinder head bolts (1-10) a first pass in sequence to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
2. Tighten the M11 cylinder head bolts (1-10) a second pass in sequence to 90 degrees using the J 36660-A .
3. Tighten the M11 cylinder head bolts (1-8) to 90 degrees and the M11 cylinder head bolts (9 and 10) to 50 degrees a final pass in sequence using J 36660-A .
4. Tighten the M8 cylinder head bolts (11-15) to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Begin with the center bolt (11) and alternating side-to-side, work outward tightening all of the bolts.
[/QUOTE]

I really hope this brings this silliness to an end. Techs worth their sand generally try to follow service procedure fairly closely. Just a little FYI, Scoggin Dickey is a dealership too. They have a huge investment in the performance market, but they sell new cars as well as stocking a LOT of parts that most people don't have a clue about. I would know, my parts department sometimes receives **** ordered parts from them. May want to give John a little more credit. Best regards.

Q.

Beaman Buick GMC (formerly Pontiac)

Quick Reply: Re-use head gasket?