Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which of these 3 cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for $25 more you can get a custom cam with the proper lift to fit with out fly cutting the pistons.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the ammount of lift affect weather or not you have to flycut? I know the F14 has less lift than the Torquer V3.

Originally Posted by garygnu
for $25 more you can get a custom cam with the proper lift to fit with out fly cutting the pistons.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the information Trevor. Can you tell me how much advance is ground into the Torquer V3 and do you see this cam fitting without having to flycut. I just want to add that I really like how you guys from Texas Speed are always on here and are quick to reply to any post concerning your products. To me, that goes a long way and will probably be the deciding factor in which cam I choose.

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
i would say the torquer v3 i was gonna get that cam until i decided to go with a custom cam the f14 is like the torquer 2 n here is some thing texas speed said about those two cams

"The problem with camshafts is that they're completely subjective. What one thinks is perfect another thinks is too big, too small, too much, not enough, etc. Below are the specs on both camshafts:

Torquer v.2: 232/234, .595"/.598", 112 or 113 LSA standard
Torquer v.3: 231/234, .643"/.598", 111 LSA standard

There were a few goals in designing the T3 cam:

1. better low-end and mid-range compared to the T2
2. more aggressive ramp rate on the intake for better power
3. all around great street/strip cam that is very driveable with a good tune

As you can see, the T3 does have one less degree of duration @ .050" on the intake. It's a more aggressive lobe that ramps up faster vs. the lobe on the T2. It provides greater net lift and allows for quicker opening and closing of the intake valve. Again, whether or not a cam works great in the mid-range is dependent on what you're comparing it to. A smaller cam like our 224R or 228R will provide you with a little more low-end power, but it won't make as much peak power. The T2 camshaft was designed to give customers the ability to make some great power without going too big on cam and without feeling like they didn't go big enough. The T3 was just a revision of the T2. With all other variables of a camshaft held constant, a tighter (i.e. lower numerically) LSA with added advance will help low-end and mid-range power. You can change just these two aspects and completely change the characteristics of how well a camshaft works. The goal is to find the happy medium where the cam works well and makes great power without falling off too quick up top or completely lacking any oomph down low. Some of these issues cannot be 100% solved with adjusting LSA and ICL. A lot of duration relative to the size of the engine is still going to have certain characteristics that go along with it, no matter the LSA or ICL.

The net result is that the T2 and T3 will make comparable power. The T3 is going to provide you with a little more low-end and mid-range power vs. the T2, and it also gives you the capability to use a little more of the flow potential of a good set of ported heads.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance"

hope this helps some and if u need anymore info just call texas speed or futral motorsports
Old 10-06-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

marketing

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I need some help picking between these three cams.

1) Torquer V3 - 231/234 111 LSA
2) F13 - 230/232 112 LSA
3) F14 - 232/234 112 LSA

I have a 2002 WS6, M6, with long tubes, full exhaust, lid and AFR 205 heads milled to 62cc. My goal is anywhere between 440 to 450rwhp and I want to have good power under the curve. I also want a mean sounding idle with a lot of lope. The car only gets driven a few times a month and will see mostly street time and be taken to the track occassionally. I would love to hear some imput from people who have these cams. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to these three. Also, I don't want to flycut and I believe all 3 will be ok, but maybe not the F14. Help with this would be great too. Thanks guys.

Those cams should perform very close to one another, i doubt you would notice any difference. I have a 230 duration cam, and wondered if i would gain anything by going up to a cam those size. If i were you i would go with the F14. I have a 230/227 cam and i have never rode in a cammed car, and i think i should have gone slightly bigger. i think the 232/234 is a perfect size cam.

Quick Reply: Which of these 3 cams