Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which way to install bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which way to install bearings?

I am installing new bearings, and there is a notch on the side of the connecting rod, and there is a notch on the end of the connecting rod. The notch is a spot where the bearing slides into, I am assuming to keep it in place. When I reassemble this do I line up the notches, or do I have them on opposite sides?
THanks
Justin
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
I am installing new bearings, and there is a notch on the side of the connecting rod, and there is a notch on the end of the connecting rod. The notch is a spot where the bearing slides into, I am assuming to keep it in place. When I reassemble this do I line up the notches, or do I have them on opposite sides?
THanks
Justin
If you're talking about the stock LSx cracked cap rods, then you'll find out very quickly if the ends don't mate up very well. IIRC, they end up on the same side.

Maybe next time you will do a little more research before attempting something like this again. You could have gone and picked out any engine building book at a local bookstore and it would have told you to number the caps and rods so that you don't run into this problem, or get the caps mixed up and put on the wrong rods.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
Which way did you have them when you measured your clearances?