Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a LS2 timing chain dampener, must I pull the engine to install??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a LS2 timing chain dampener, must I pull the engine to install??

Picked up a new LS2 chain and LS2 timing chain dampener from GM.. My 01 T/A has the bosses, but thats it.. Seems pretty risque to drill and tap.. What should I do?? I have searched and found a few aftermarket ones for LS1's but not able to locate a GM one.. Any advise?? or steer me in the right direction of a different timing chain dampener for a LS1.. thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Launching!

just have to remove waterpump/ front cover/ crank pulley. not hard to drill and tap, its aluminum
Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1

Just put rags in the pan & over any open areas & clean well after drill & tap.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bolt spacing is different and you will find the hole is on the edge of the boss. I would do a search, someone posted a photo of the final result some time back.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched this over a year ago and it makes more since to buy a better timing chain "set" where you don't have any slack to have to deal with. I decided to go with Cloyes Hex-A-Just set that comes with the billet sprockets and LS2 chain. This is a much better solution than the chain damper. just my .02
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say most don't run the dampner. Before I drilled on my motor in the car, I would just buy a better chain. The last thing I want is some metal running through my motor. Yeah you could get it done with a rag and could be fine. I say could because it only takes one small piece of debris to ruin the entire motor. How do you catch the metal on the back side of the hole? What if there is a burr on the other side? Something to think about... IMO,if you're going to do it, do it right and get a better chain or just leave the dampner out.

Jon
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody who drills into their block while it's still fully assembled is gambling with fire. All it takes is a few shavings to get in the wrong places and you're done. A rag isn't magnetic, it isn't going to get every shaving.

The risk outweighs the benefit in this case. Just put a good chain on it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian
Anybody who drills into their block while it's still fully assembled is gambling with fire. All it takes is a few shavings to get in the wrong places and you're done. A rag isn't magnetic, it isn't going to get every shaving.

I've never seen a magnetic that would work on aluminum either
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 902 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I would say most don't run the dampner. Before I drilled on my motor in the car, I would just buy a better chain. The last thing I want is some metal running through my motor. Yeah you could get it done with a rag and could be fine. I say could because it only takes one small piece of debris to ruin the entire motor. How do you catch the metal on the back side of the hole? What if there is a burr on the other side? Something to think about... IMO,if you're going to do it, do it right and get a better chain or just leave the dampner out.

Jon
Originally Posted by Damian

^This
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

thanks.. I will bve picking up a Cloyes Hex-a-just LS2 kit,,,unless there is a better choice..
Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

As a piece of info, I have ran my LS2 timing set on a TR224 for a couple thousand miles with beehives up top. In just a couple K it has stretched and now has some slack on one side. When new, the LS2 sets are a very tight fit. Couple K and they are slightly loose. The nature of beast IMO. The idea is not to have too much slack. Chains stretch though.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Chains stretch though.
True, all chains but some more then others.

Quick Reply: Have a LS2 timing chain dampener, must I pull the engine to install??