Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with lq4 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with lq4 build

Okay so I am about to pick up a lq4 motor out off a 04 silverado 1500. I am putting forged pistons/rods/crank in it. What type off cam should I run? I am wanting to run the bigest cam duration cam for nitrous/93 octane? what type off heads should I get? and what size intake manifold should I go with I was thinking about going with a 102 but I am not sure. I need advice the biggest shot I plan on spraying is a 150-225 shot. I need help with this build will be gratful for the advice for I am 19 and this is the first ls based motor I have built in my life I have been around big blocks and small blocks all my life I can put them togather but when it comes to the technical stuff I still have alot to learn. So I need help coming up with the specs to tell the machine shop.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Teching In

What kind of power are you looking for ?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Around 600 all motor if it is possible or more..I just want to keep it on 93 octane bc race gas cost to much for my taste lol
Old 10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

one. the silverado 1500 are NOT LQ4 engine. LQ4 = 6.0 the one found in 1500 are 5.3.

two. for a 19 years old i hope you did MORE research into what is need to make 600 N/A out of a LQ4. it might not be possible but if im wrong im sure the bottom end is going to be very very expensive.

i suggest u take a whole year at reading and understanding everything there is to learn from this site. look into these 9 second section and see what everybody has. alot of them have force induction but u can do research on their bottom end. what they bought and why.

Last edited by defdaboss; 10-13-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

well the motor came out off a 1500 and its a lq4 motor its not the 5.3
Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Well 600 all motor on an LQ is a bit high hoped now if you want 600 on a shot then thats a little more attainable.... If you stroke it and run higher comp. you're going to make more power . Do you have a specific brand of heads you prefer ? There is alot of real good sponsers on here that I'm sure would be more than willing to help you put together the right top end for what you want .

Brandon D
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defdaboss
one. the silverado 1500 are NOT LQ4 engine. LQ4 = 6.0 the one found in 1500 are 5.3.

two. for a 19 years old i hope you did MORE research into what is need to make 600 N/A out of a LQ4. it might not be possible but if im wrong im sure the bottom end is going to be very very expensive.

i suggest u take a whole year at reading and understanding everything there is to learn from this site. look into these 9 second section and see what everybody has. alot of them have force induction but u can do research on their bottom end. what they bought and why.
ands the machine shop told me it would run me around 2000 for everything for the bottem end. I have been around drag cars my whole life man....and I have been saving since I was 12 so my pockets are pretty deep atm I am not wanting to spend no more than 15k on the whole car. I have the car its been sitting around for a year so I think its time to do something with it.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defdaboss

Originally Posted by LSNV
Well 600 all motor on an LQ is a bit high hoped now if you want 600 on a shot then thats a little more attainable.... If you stroke it and run higher comp. you're going to make more power . Do you have a specific brand of heads you prefer ? There is alot of real good sponsers on here that I'm sure would be more than willing to help you put together the right top end for what you want .

Brandon D

Im not picky I was thinking trickflow or afr but Im not sure..I want what ever is the best I just need advice on what to go with like some off the other people that have done the lq4s and lq9 builds
Old 10-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Well I can see we're all pretty new to the forum here but seriously lets not be ******** . Brandon , def. keep your eyes glued to the faq sections and find ya some posts made by old timers with these sort of setups . There is alot of knowledge on this site , I've practically built my whole car just by trolling. Just be aware of the way you're wording things and always read up before you drop a post with a question in it .

Also , TF makes great heads then what about cams ? Your popular cams are gonna be mostly guys running TSP's and such . I seriously would read up on simular setups and make a call to a shop you're comfy with . Tell them your expectations , they will tell you the realality of em (LOL) and then work on a good setup .

Brandon D
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSNV
Well I can see we're all pretty new to the forum here but seriously lets not be ******** . Brandon , def. keep your eyes glued to the faq sections and find ya some posts made by old timers with these sort of setups . There is alot of knowledge on this site , I've practically built my whole car just by trolling. Just be aware of the way you're wording things and always read up before you drop a post with a question in it .

Also , TF makes great heads then what about cams ? Your popular cams are gonna be mostly guys running TSP's and such . I seriously would read up on simular setups and make a call to a shop you're comfy with . Tell them your expectations , they will tell you the realality of em (LOL) and then work on a good setup .

Brandon D

all right thanks and I have been trying to do reaserch for a few months now and the ls based motors confuse me...bc Ive seen them make a ton off power compared to the small blocks Im used too :/ and I was thinking about a t-rex bc thats what all my trans am buddys told me go with they said thats what they go with and it sounds mean..
Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a generic High dollar 408/414 ci build sheet/good list of parts
-Callies Rotating assembly 4" stroke crank/4.03 pistons/11.x:1 comp
-Trick flow 245's or allpro L92's or AFR 225's
-FAST lsxRT 102/102 (if it will fit) lsxr if not
-Yella terra rockers
-23x/24x .62x/.63x 114lsa cam
-ARP hardware throughout
-1 7/8" ARH headers

If it were me (not trying to set any records/save some dough) I would buy a pre-assembled 408 short block from a sponsor and bolt on a set of ported L92's and a big cam..Buy a well built 4l80e , put it all together and enjoy it

You need to read as suggested..then read some more, start with one answer questions i.e (what do you guys thibk about Wiesco pistons?) Call up someone like Texas Speed and tell them what your goals are..Good luck
Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

They do sound really good but some times a custom blower/nitrous cam will make better power on the shot . I run a custom grind pat G cam and it makes great power thru the whole curve . The prob with off the shelf cams is they are not always for your setup . These motors make such great power because everything is so well matched . Pay close attention to what parts your meshing together and you'll make good numbers and have a solid setup .

If it makes ya feel any better I'm actually in the process of building an all motor LQ4 for my 99 to run competively in 11.50 easy street , it's not a monster LSX block or anything but it seems to be making good power . All though I plan to run race gas because of the compression bump from my heads .

W/ and LS6 intake , 317 heads , cam and LT's the car made 363hp thru an A4 . I'm hoping for somewhere in the 400's on the new setup .

Brandon D

Quick Reply: Need help with lq4 build