Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you check for when buying a used complete motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would you check for when buying a used complete motor?

Going to pick up what I am being told is a gently used 30K LS6. Motor is complete. I already confirmed the block is an LS6, but what could I do quickly to confirm it is in good running condition if any? Here is a couple that come to mind

Drop the pan and look at the crank/bearings for excessive wear

Hand turn the engine and make sure it spins freely?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leakdown test with each piston at TDC, 100psig test pressure.

You won't see much useful about the bearings just by dropping the oil pan, have to remove the bearing caps and no sane seller would permit it.

If it still has the oil filter attached, remove it and cut it open. Spread out the filter media and look for metal in the pleats.

If it still has oil in the pan, pull a sample and send it in for analysis. Blackstone Labs is a good vendor, there are others as well.

Pull the spark plugs and read for abnormal burn or mechanical impacts.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Leakdown test with each piston at TDC, 100psig test pressure.

You won't see much useful about the bearings just by dropping the oil pan, have to remove the bearing caps and no sane seller would permit it.

If it still has the oil filter attached, remove it and cut it open. Spread out the filter media and look for metal in the pleats.

If it still has oil in the pan, pull a sample and send it in for analysis. Blackstone Labs is a good vendor, there are others as well.

Pull the spark plugs and read for abnormal burn or mechanical impacts.
what he said . hes 100% wright no sane seller will let u pull caps off
Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope the old oil filter is still on the engine and cut it open...it will tell you alot about the condition of the engine.

I bought a used 454 once, cut open the old oil filter and founf it was full of water....tread carefully with used engines that you can't drive.

I bought a used engine out of a low mileage 84 ta once too, luckily I pulled the intake and checked it before installing it. All the valves were rusted and once ii pulled the heads i found the rings rusted to the cylinder walls, Engine was junk. Salvage yard tried to screw me out of 500 bucks on that deal but i stood my ground and finally got another good low mileage engine.

A good salvage yard will check and run any engine before they sell it.

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 10-16-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got an lq4. biggest mistake i made was not turning the crank by hand. next day i realize i got a stuck piston ring. smh. but its alright. im plannin on rebuildin the engine from bottom up anyways.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also pull the valve covers ,check the upper valve train while turning it over.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would pull the dipstick to see what the oil looked like, if they didnt drain it. Pull the oil cap off & one of the valve covers. From that I would get a good idea if the oil was changed often enough. Then just give it a good visual inspection for any signs of external leaks or damage. If everything looks ok & the internals are clean its most likely ok. I have installed a lot of used engines & had pretty good luck with them but have had a few that had a slight knock after it warmed up.

Quick Reply: What would you check for when buying a used complete motor?