Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i pull my oil pan and this is what i found...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have the truck or the engine hoist at the moment to be taking the block around like that. this is one heavy MUTHAPHUKIN LQ4. took 4 of us to pick this up and put it on the engine stand..lesson learned. i need to do something while it's HERE. i havent taken out all the piston yet just one (that shows the bad bearing). i'll pull them all out tomorrow and we'll go from there.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by defdaboss
i would like to just change the bearing and put all the rods and piston back on with new piston rings and bolt everything back up...
I wouldn't hold me breath on that.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cylinder bores looks okay. no real damage at all, still feel nice and smooth. im honestly not trying to go all crazy on my bottom end. this is going to be a daily driver. i just wanna repair it and put everything back together and complete my swap. i would like to just change the bearing and put all the rods and piston back on with new piston rings and bolt everything back up...
Understand what your saying. Like I said you're probiably better off getting a whole new rotating assembly though if you put this fella back together. If a rod bearing is damaged like that the rod would have to at least be reconditioned and to be honest it costs more to recondition a set of stock rods anymore than it does to get a set of decent aftermarket ones. A set of aftermarket rods with bolts is about $500 give or take. Last time I priced redoing a set of rods I was quoted about $90 a pop. Well that doesn't seem bad except you should do all 8 so they all match being something tore that motor up, and you can figure the math out on that one. Again one step at a time.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Default Rod caps & throw away bolts

If you choose to re-use those rods or use any other factory rods from a donor motor - Do not mix up the rod caps when you take the rods out. Each cap is matched to the rod it was cracked off of. You cannot mix them up!

Also all the internal bolts are (head, rod, main caps) 1 time use bolts only. This means when this short block comes apart you have to use all new internal bolts when you re-assemble it. Unlike a small block chevy, those are all throw away bolts as you loosen and remove them.

Hpbob1
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

aiight man.. im going to take everybody advice and just buy a whole new rotating assembly. some of them are unbalance, internal balance,external balance. what am i lookin for? and what number can i go? i think mine is a 364cu in. lookin for something a lil less than 800 total package if im lucky?

edited: wouldnt it be cheaper to buy just the bottom end of another used engine running? they could be gotten for almost 300
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hpbob1
If you choose to re-use those rods or use any other factory rods from a donor motor - Do not mix up the rod caps when you take the rods out. Each cap is matched to the rod it was cracked off of. You cannot mix them up!

Also all the internal bolts are (head, rod, main caps) 1 time use bolts only. This means when this short block comes apart you have to use all new internal bolts when you re-assemble it. Unlike a small block chevy, those are all throw away bolts as you loosen and remove them.

Hpbob1
You're the only person I have ever heard say that about the main and rod bolts.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

do i want an internal,external or unbalance rotating assembly?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Rod and main bolts are reuseable. Many do like to upgrade the rod bolts though.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

okay im going to assume i want an INTERNAL balance rotating assembly so i can just bolt it up and go?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, for the money you're going to spend on parts and labor, especially if it's going to be a daily driver...go to the salvage yard and just buy another LQ4...just make sure you get to actually hear it run first, and look at the oil pressure and dipstick...then DON'T take it apart...a cam and heads on a decent running engine is one thing (if you're VERY cleanly with your work, it'll be fine)...and if you really want to rev it higher, do rod bolts (1 at a time, I forget if it's the Katech's or ARP's that allow for that).

A friend did exactly that with his LQ4 thats in his fox body...rod bolts, heads and cam...car is running high 10's naturally aspirated and low 10's on nitrous...and it runs perfect...for what they go for at salvage yards, the rebuild parts/labor are NOT worth the effort/price.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Honestly, for the money you're going to spend on parts and labor, especially if it's going to be a daily driver...go to the salvage yard and just buy another LQ4...just make sure you get to actually hear it run first, and look at the oil pressure and dipstick...then DON'T take it apart...a cam and heads on a decent running engine is one thing (if you're VERY cleanly with your work, it'll be fine)...and if you really want to rev it higher, do rod bolts (1 at a time, I forget if it's the Katech's or ARP's that allow for that).

A friend did exactly that with his LQ4 thats in his fox body...rod bolts, heads and cam...car is running high 10's naturally aspirated and low 10's on nitrous...and it runs perfect...for what they go for at salvage yards, the rebuild parts/labor are NOT worth the effort/price.
im locate in miami and it's not as cheap as other salvage yard would charge. i paid 700 for this motor. most of the junkyard and salvage place charge 1,400 for the motor except a.c , engine wire harness, tranny. etc. and i plan to do the labor myself.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

crankshaft bearing damage as well..
Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Trust me, you're going to spend a lot more than that rebuilding this engine. I hate to say this, but basically, this engine is a total loss financially. You would be way ahead financially to find a good engine to start with.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

crankshaft bearing damage as well..
You can't spin a rod bearing without damaging the crank.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

damm... thanks for all ur input blsnelling. appreciate it. sound like i need a whole new rotating assembly. im not tryin to go any faster than 600 RWHP cuz anything pass that is a little overkill for me. im using this as a DD. any suggestion on the rotating assembly?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Default Rod, head and main bolts are not re-usable

Rod, head & main bolts are NOT re-usable in the LS motors. Both of my LS engine build books state they are NOT. GM state's they are NOT. Every article I have read on building up the LS motor by racing experts or GM engineers state's they are NOT. These bolts are designed to be 1 time use torqued to stretch yield. If you re-use them they will not hold the same torque- stretch to yield parameters they were designed for and your torques will be inaccurate. These authors are only experts in building LS racing motors. And what does GM know about how they designed their own bolts? Personally I would not want to be racing against someone who was too stupid or too cheap to replace their head, rod and main bolts in a LS motor. If you dont replace them, then drive at your own peril for the safety of your motor, yourself and anyone who happens to be drag racing you at the track or driving around you if that motor lets go. Its cheap insurance. Why take the chance when GM tells you not to.

Hpbob1
Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hpbob1
Rod, head & main bolts are NOT re-usable in the LS motors. Both of my LS engine build books state they are NOT. GM state's they are NOT. Every article I have read on building up the LS motor by racing experts or GM engineers state's they are NOT. These bolts are designed to be 1 time use torqued to stretch yield. If you re-use them they will not hold the same torque- stretch to yield parameters they were designed for and your torques will be inaccurate. These authors are only experts in building LS racing motors. And what does GM know about how they designed their own bolts? Personally I would not want to be racing against someone who was too stupid or too cheap to replace their head, rod and main bolts in a LS motor. If you dont replace them, then drive at your own peril for the safety of your motor, yourself and anyone who happens to be drag racing you at the track or driving around you if that motor lets go. Its cheap insurance. Why take the chance when GM tells you not to.

Hpbob1
your right. we are past that part now tho. im lookin to purchase a new rotating assembly before thanksgiving and im sure it'll come with new bolt,rod,main,and bearing. im not bad at all when it comes to rebuilding it. im just doing this by myself with no help and it makes me feel better to have some advice from ls1tech.com especially from the tech member and sponsor.

lookin for advice . eagle brand in the 600rwhp. and something that i dont have to take to a machine shop to balance it. it would save me alot of trouble if i could just bolt on .
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Do you realize how much you're asking for with 600RWHP?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Do you realize how much you're asking for with 600RWHP?
the ORIGINAL plan was to do the l76,l92 heads, Cam, tune, and 150 shot of NOS. that would get me around 500+HP. but since i need a rotating assembly i figure i might make some power out of my bottom end from the standard 300-325hp into the 400+ ?
im not expecting a 600RWHP just touchin the bottom end at all. i'll work on my heads cam and such. but if a 383 stroker or 406 could bring me alot closer to my goal then i could ingore upgrading my heads and intake manifold for a FAST 102mm. pretty much build some power down there
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

my goal for my build is to get me in the 500+ horsepower and ill be satisfy and close the hood.