Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best bang for the buck when building an engine from scratch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004 | 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default What is the best bang for the buck when building an engine from scratch ?

I am going to build an LS1 from scratch and would like to know form you guys what would be a good shopping list for parts. What is the all around best bang for your buck on parts and what parts work better with others? I know all of you guys have nickled and dimed yourselves over the years trying to figre out hwat works for ya and if you had to do it again you wouyld change some things. I just want to learn from your expieriance because my wife is only gonna give me one shot at this well thats what she thinks anyway but i just want to do it right from thhe beginning without haveing to rob a bank

i think I would probaly like a nice head turning street car with an occasional track vist

Last edited by cgworth; 02-01-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2004 | 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cgworth
You mean to tell me with all the opinions and no it alls on here no one has any input on this subject
How high is up? IOW, where do you want to go? You didn't explain the use of the engine or your budget.

How about checking the attitude and the signature at the door. That might help.

You asked for input...
Old 02-01-2004 | 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Rods can go from cheap to cheaper, as well as pistons. Give us some details on what you need the engine to do, and how it will be used.
Old 02-01-2004 | 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock rods, stock crank, cheap aftermarket pistons, arp head bolts
Old 02-01-2004 | 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would at least like to get 450 hp or more , My budget is kinda flexible as I will have to build this over time.
Old 02-01-2004 | 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

power is made through heads and the right valve events. 450 rwhp through a manal tranny isnt too difficult. put the money in the heads, cam, and boltons and you are right there. internals wont make power.
Old 02-01-2004 | 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Building from scratch? 383 stroker kit is a great place to start... then comes a cam... Or are you asking for stock pistons vs. forged stock sized pistons?

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2004 | 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There wasnt any attitude in that and as for the signature, Could you find me a lame quote to use by ole Oscar? or do you corner the market on that.

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
How high is up? IOW, where do you want to go? You didn't explain the use of the engine or your budget.

How about checking the attitude and the signature at the door. That might help.

You asked for input...
Old 02-01-2004 | 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not sure about Pistons, How far over bore can you go on an LS1? I have set of .60 over pistons for a old school 350, will they work on an Ls1?

How much is a 383 stroker kit and what are the HP gains? ballpark

Originally Posted by Biochem
Building from scratch? 383 stroker kit is a great place to start... then comes a cam... Or are you asking for stock pistons vs. forged stock sized pistons?
Old 02-01-2004 | 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read somewhere that some people have been getting better times using 5.3L heads is this true? what cam do you recomend and what are the hp gains ?

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
power is made through heads and the right valve events. 450 rwhp through a manal tranny isnt too difficult. put the money in the heads, cam, and boltons and you are right there. internals wont make power.
Old 02-01-2004 | 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice
20 Year Member

5.3 heads yield higher compression, that’s why they make "more" power. Stock 5.3 heads have very small valves so you have to get a ported set, Patriot’s are a great deal.

The answers to pretty much all of your questions have already been addressed in these forums several times. Search heads/ cam etc. and you will get all the info you need. There are a million different set-up’s you can run to get what you’re looking for, do some research.