Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gains from stroking

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reeperz28
hmm confused to whom is him ha dont matter here is one of my threads from the other day thats how i got my block just waiting for the money to allow for stroker kit and the un enending list of parts to support it. hope the build goes good.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cast-iron.html
im paying and getting the build but im having someone else do the assembly and installation for me i don't have time tools or the facilities
Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The_Rizzle
If you're already getting a peak hp lower than your rev limit, you won't make more peak hp USING THE SAME PARTS. You will make the same power, but shift the power curve to a lower rpm range. If you up the head/cam intake package to suit the extra cubes, you can keep the same basic power curve, but stronger overall.

The extra compression that can come from stroking it would help power, however.

Torque numbers follow the same stuff as the hp, depends if you're matching parts for the extra cubes.

If you like where your power is, but want more overall, cam it with the extra stroke. Heads too if $$ lets you.
This is in no way true and should immediately be disregarded.

Last edited by treyZ28; 11-04-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: for some reason, the split infinitive there was bothering me.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Rizzle
If you're already getting a peak hp lower than your rev limit, you won't make more peak hp USING THE SAME PARTS. You will make the same power, but shift the power curve to a lower rpm range. If you up the head/cam intake package to suit the extra cubes, you can keep the same basic power curve, but stronger overall.

The extra compression that can come from stroking it would help power, however.

Torque numbers follow the same stuff as the hp, depends if you're matching parts for the extra cubes.

If you like where your power is, but want more overall, cam it with the extra stroke. Heads too if $$ lets you.
Guys this is absolutely true. Think of it this way..... If the only thing you change is the crank, rods, and pistons (but maintain same SCR) why will HP go up??? It won't but as rizzle said it will just shift the same curve to lower RPM's because of the extra stroke....

This is way over simplified but stroke makes TQ and bore makes HP...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

so is what you are basically saying is stroking a motor won't up my hp #'s but i will gain torque. but im guessing more torque is good.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Guys this is absolutely true. Think of it this way..... If the only thing you change is the crank, rods, and pistons (but maintain same SCR) why will HP go up??? It won't but as rizzle said it will just shift the same curve to lower RPM's because of the extra stroke....

This is way over simplified but stroke makes TQ and bore makes HP...

No it's not. Because you have ~35-40 more cubic inches of displacement, even if the heads are the same.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so think of it this way you are spinning the crank around with a 1 foot rod and try and spin it 600 revolutions a minute ok now try to do it with a 3 foot rod which takes less work to spin it around you can get it going faster with that longer stroke without exerting more force this is probably a horrible example ha but just look it up on google its physics
Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
No it's not. Because you have ~35-40 more cubic inches of displacement, even if the heads are the same.
Sorry, it is true. The extra cubic inches will make more overall power, but peak power will stay roughly the same. Many tests in the last several decades have proven this.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

to me that would seem true only if you are restricted on air
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your exhaust is restrictive for that big of motor.with a better flowing exhaust and a EPS cam,and a good converter you can make 500 hp/tq.you will break a stock rear end.you could run 9.90 with every thing right and tuned.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha gains from stroking...mind went straight to the gutter on that one.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCS
Sorry, it is true. The extra cubic inches will make more overall power, but peak power will stay roughly the same. Many tests in the last several decades have proven this.
any links (seriously, not trying to be a dick)

Originally Posted by little_chewy_69
You have a bigger pressure drop (more force) sucking in air. Unless you have something like an 86 TBI, it's going to make more power. Not worth the bang for the buck, but you're crazy if you think a 383 LSx won't make more power than a 346 (?) LSx
Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by little_chewy_69
You are restricted on air, otherwise power would never peak.

any links (seriously, not trying to be a dick)
383 Engine Dyno Results (graphs included)

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
...the motor that was previously in my car (the stock short AFR 224/228 combination you guys have read tons of info on) on the very same dyno I recently completed testing the 383 on, put down 550 HP / 482 Ft/lbs.

FIRST ROUND OF TESTING

Essentially the exact same combination as the 346 in my car and whose flywheel dyno results I shared with you above (550 HP/ 482 TQ), the ONLY difference being the larger 383 displacement shortblock.

Final Results 552 HP / 522 TQ

Summary:

The results were inline with what I expected...I was questioning whether the larger engine with the same induction/small cam might make less peak power and was glad to see it came in exactly the same. Big increase in TQ was a no-brainer.

You have a bigger pressure drop (more force) sucking in air. Unless you have something like an 86 TBI, it's going to make more power. Not worth the bang for the buck, but you're crazy if you think a 383 LSx won't make more power than a 346 (?) LSx.
It's not crazy, it's just counterintuitive. A given cross section of area will only be able to flow a given volume of air per minute. After this point, it doesn't matter how much negative pressure you put to it, it simply will not flow any more air. A bigger engine will just reach this point sooner with the same induction package as a smaller engine.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link, but I don't think it's really a fair assessment when it's a 550hp engine using those heads (and there is ~5-10hp difference if the compression ratios were equal). I don't doubt that for a minute.

Like I said "Unless you have something like an 86 TBI, it's going to make more power. " 550hp through that setup is probably just as restricted as an 86 TBI (relatively speaking, obviously the TBI is more restrictive in absolute terms).

For a stock LSX engine or bolt on, stroking it will increase power. Again, not worth the bang for the buck compared to top end upgrades, but there will be more peak power.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm, so say my engine takes a ****...

I can get a stock ls1 shortblock for $1800 or a 383 for $4000. Choice: ls1 with GOOD heads, or 383 with mildy home ported/milled 799 heads?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
KCS

Thanks for the link, but I don't think it's really a fair assessment when it's a 550hp engine using those heads (and there is ~5-10hp difference if the compression ratios were equal). I don't doubt that for a minute.

Like I said "Unless you have something like an 86 TBI, it's going to make more power. " 550hp through that setup is probably just as restricted as an 86 TBI (relatively speaking, obviously the TBI is more restrictive in absolute terms).

For a stock LSX engine or bolt on, stroking it will increase power. Again, not worth the bang for the buck compared to top end upgrades, but there will be more peak power.
How is that not a fair assessment? That's what we're talking about here right? That's a 347ci engine stroked to 383ci with the same induction parts and it makes roughly the same HP but at a lower RPM. Even if it were stock parts, you would still see the same trend occur. You're the one that said that was not true and should be disregarded, yet here is empirical evidence to say otherwise.

Your 5-10hp estimate is pretty generous if you're still referring to peak numbers. 5-10ft-lbs sure, but not 5-10hp. I'd say 5hp would be pushing it. Peak Hp numbers are dictated by the limits of the induction system, to include camshaft timing. The displacement that the induction system feeds dictate where that peak happens.

Now I think it's your turn to provide evidence. Where has it been shown that you can increase the displacement of the engine with the same parts, and the peak RPM stays the same?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCS
How is that not a fair assessment? That's what we're talking about here right? That's a 347ci engine stroked to 383ci with the same induction parts and it makes roughly the same HP but at a lower RPM. Even if it were stock parts, you would still see the same trend occur. You're the one that said that was not true and should be disregarded, yet here is empirical evidence to say otherwise.

Your 5-10hp estimate is pretty generous if you're still referring to peak numbers. 5-10ft-lbs sure, but not 5-10hp. I'd say 5hp would be pushing it. Peak Hp numbers are dictated by the limits of the induction system, to include camshaft timing. The displacement that the induction system feeds dictate where that peak happens.

Now I think it's your turn to provide evidence. Where has it been shown that you can increase the displacement of the engine with the same parts, and the peak RPM stays the same?
If the difference in comparing a 550hp engine and a factory LS1 aren't already obvious, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the stroke gains displacement and all other factors remain the same, the horsepower should increase. If you are limiting the setup by the amount of air you can draw in (heads and cam) then you are fouling the test's results.

A 383 will always make more power than a 346 if they are tuned to take advantage of the extra displacement. Saying that more stroke = more torque and the same HP is like saying more bore = same torque and more HP. It doesn't make sense logically or mathematically. Lets say we have 2 engines with the same displacement, one oversquare and one undersquare. More stroke = more mechanical advantage on the crank = more torque = more horsepower (they go hand in hand). More bore = more pressure on the piston from more surface area = more torque = more horsepower. The driving characteristics will be slightly different because of cylinder filling and other factors, but the engines will produce roughly the same power and torque because they have the same displacement.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by killernoodle
If the stroke gains displacement and all other factors remain the same, the horsepower should increase. If you are limiting the setup by the amount of air you can draw in (heads and cam) then you are fouling the test's results.

A 383 will always make more power than a 346 if they are tuned to take advantage of the extra displacement. Saying that more stroke = more torque and the same HP is like saying more bore = same torque and more HP. It doesn't make sense logically or mathematically. Lets say we have 2 engines with the same displacement, one oversquare and one undersquare. More stroke = more mechanical advantage on the crank = more torque = more horsepower (they go hand in hand). More bore = more pressure on the piston from more surface area = more torque = more horsepower. The driving characteristics will be slightly different because of cylinder filling and other factors, but the engines will produce roughly the same power and torque because they have the same displacement.
More torque does not necessarily mean more horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm, so when torque increases but the associated rpm declines horsepower can increase, decrease, or stay the same depending on the degree of change in the two variables (TQ and rpm).

Last edited by Darkman; 11-12-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
KCS

If the difference in comparing a 550hp engine and a factory LS1 aren't already obvious, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it.
The laws of physics don't change in an engine just because there is an AFR logo on the side of the heads. Tony is good with cylinder heads, but I wouldn't give him THAT much credit, lol.

That IS the test though. To see what happens when displacement increases, and everything else, to include the induction package, stays the same.

You're right, but you're looking at it the wrong way. An increase in TQ will always equate to an increase in HP, but only at that same RPM. More displacement will create more overall TQ, but since the larger displacement demands more air at any given RPM, the entire TQ curve shifts left to a lower RPM because the engine is now "more restricted". This mathematically explains why the peak HP stays the same: the increase in TQ is offset by the lower RPM in which it occurs.

To take advantage of the larger displacement, you must increase the airflow capabilities of the induction package to shift the TQ curve back to the right. Without doing that, you still make more overall power and torque, but the peak power stays almost exactly the same.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Darkman
More torque does not necessarily mean more horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm, so when torque increases but the associated rpm declines horsepower can increase, decrease, or stay the same depending on the degree of change in the two vaiables (TQ and rpm).
Bingo.

Quick Reply: gains from stroking