Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna upgrade from ls6 cam to Midrange cam need help....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010 | 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
go back and read my post.... I said to check out some eps grinds! You were being a dick with your "screw that" post. Thts why I responded the way I did. Grow up pal and leave the rest to pm's if you got a problem!
Wasn't Meaning to be a dick I was just tired and just saying IMO if your gonna pay full price for any cam. I would always just spend the extra 25 and get it custom spec'd for your exact setup. If your gonna get a off the self cam just buy one used you can get one for 200-275 shipped in perfect shape. I just ordered a custom cam from eps 230/234 111 .600/.602 Geoff Skinner was really helpful and really knows his stuff so does Pat g.
Old 11-07-2010 | 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
so a 224 224 578 580 116 would be a killer you think ?^^^^
I don't think you can get EPS lobes in 224. They go up by 4's you can get 222,226,230,234 and so on. If I was you Id really just save some cash and get a used TR224-114 or a 224R-114.
Old 11-07-2010 | 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
224 is the biggest I would go an if I do it will ONLY be eps lobes I like How they turn up.
I don't know much about their cams, but they seem to be all the rage lately. I'm going to assume they have a pretty aggressive ramp rate. Ramp rate will not effect drive-ability, but with a cam that has an aggressive ramp rate it would be wise to get the good valve springs, chrome moly push rods, new lifters, and make sure your rockers are in good order.

If you are close to Thunder Racing, I'd check out their stuff too. They know a lot about these cars. Their TR224 has made many people happy.
Old 11-07-2010 | 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
Wasn't Meaning to be a dick I was just tired and just saying IMO if your gonna pay full price for any cam. I would always just spend the extra 25 and get it custom spec'd for your exact setup. If your gonna get a off the self cam just buy one used you can get one for 200-275 shipped in perfect shape. I just ordered a custom cam from eps 230/234 111 .600/.602 Geoff Skinner was really helpful and really knows his stuff so does Pat g.
I would get a custom grind too... either way no biggie! I hope your custom eps cam works out good for ya!!
Old 11-07-2010 | 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I don't know much about their cams, but they seem to be all the rage lately. I'm going to assume they have a pretty aggressive ramp rate. Ramp rate will not effect drive-ability, but with a cam that has an aggressive ramp rate it would be wise to get the good valve springs, chrome moly push rods, new lifters, and make sure your rockers are in good order.

If you are close to Thunder Racing, I'd check out their stuff too. They know a lot about these cars. Their TR224 has made many people happy.
Imo the rave over these eps lobes is thier ability to make excellent power with smaller durations and have alot less valve train noise compared to other lobe designs... not to mention the lsg lobes seem to be very valve spring friendly!
Old 11-07-2010 | 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Imo the rave over these eps lobes is thier ability to make excellent power with smaller durations and have alot less valve train noise compared to other lobe designs... not to mention the lsg lobes seem to be very valve spring friendly!
Seem? Is that based on anything valid enough to be giving out recommendations? If a lobe has a faster ramp, it will be more stressful on the valve train. That's a fact.

Sorry to be an ***, and I don't even know what the ramp is on their cams, but a lot of loose recommendations are given out on the Interwebs about stuff we non-experts don't know all that much about (I'm guilty of it myself ). The best people to talk to about cams are the professionals. Tell them precisely what is wanted/expected, and take their advice, and chances are good that goals will be met.

/rant
Old 11-07-2010 | 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seem? Is that based on anything valid enough to be giving out recommendations? If a lobe has a faster ramp, it will be more stressful on the valve train. That's a fact.

Sorry to be an ***, and I don't even know what the ramp is on their cams, but a lot of loose recommendations are given out on the Interwebs about stuff we non-experts don't know all that much about (I'm guilty of it myself ). The best people to talk to about cams are the professionals. Tell them precisely what is wanted/expected, and take their advice, and chances are good that goals will be met.

/rant
The ramp rate on my EPS cam lobes are 49 from .006 to .050 so they are fast. There suppose to be a newer design that jerks the valve train less while still having healthy lift and a fast ramp rate. There designed to be ran with beehive springs and be easy on the valve train the fact that they don't jerk the valve train allows them to rev very freely and maintain power longer. I just wanted the eps lobes because they seem to be as good as alot of other lobes at making power but are nicer to your beehive springs then an XER or LSL lobes from what Ive read.

Last edited by mtuggle86; 11-15-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2010 | 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

/rant
Well before you try to argue something maybe you should do some research don't ya think? My info is coming straight from what patrick g has posted about eps lobes...I feel his reputation is good enough on this site to pass his information on to others!! Maybe you should contact him yourself...
Old 11-07-2010 | 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

The ramp rate on my EPS cam lobes are 49 from .006 to .050 so they are fast. The suppose to be a newer design that jerks the valve train less while still having healthy lift and a fast ramp rate. There designed to be ran with beehive springs and be easy on the valve train the fact that they don't jerk the valve train allows them to rev very freely and maintain power longer. I just wanted the rps lobes because they seem to be as good as alot of other lobes at making power but are nicer to your beehive springs then an XER or LSL lobes from what Ive read.
Yup!
Old 11-08-2010 | 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Well before you try to argue something maybe you should do some research don't ya think? My info is coming straight from what patrick g has posted about eps lobes...I feel his reputation is good enough on this site to pass his information on to others!! Maybe you should contact him yourself...
Thanks for the solid advice. It's exactly what the OP should be doing rather than asking us which cam he should be getting.
Old 11-08-2010 | 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the solid advice. It's exactly what the OP should be doing rather than asking us which cam he should be getting.
Im not gonna lie you could read about cams for months and still prob not know **** about specing them. OP just pay Pat G or Geoff Skinner to spec it for you its just 25 bucks.
Old 11-08-2010 | 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not gonna lie you could read about cams for months and still prob not know **** about specing them. OP just pay Pat G or Geoff Skinner to spec it for you its just 25 bucks.
I wanna go with their speced cam.