Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test you troubleshooting skills

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really surprised that nobody has done an exhaust based crancase evacuation system like you see on the big drag cars......

Good idea about the air pump too!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started the write up!

Tommy
Old 02-05-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaskett
Haven't looked at the video yet, but based on your symptoms and when they occur, it's because you're pulling oil through the PCV system when you have alot of vacuum in the intake (i.e. deceleration, and WOT) Either a simple catch can or a switch to the LS6 style PCV system should help alleviate the problem.

It's caused by two things happening. 1. at WOT and decel after WOT, you aggitate (for a better lack of words) the oil in the top of the motor, around the rockers, causing alot of it to become airborn and some atomize. 2. At those same conditions, you're pulling alot of vacuum, and are then pulling all that aggitated oil through the PCV system, since it draws from the valve covers and the PCV valve (actually the whole system) sits sideways, it's not helping to stop the oil from making it's way into the intake.

Hope this helps!

Matt
I would look at a remote mount catch can as well. That should help.

That is interesting about the MACs I have never heard of that before. I run them and do not have any noticable smoking.

One thing about the MAC's is the air pump tubes sometimes causing check valve problems through the AIR system. Might want to use block off plates or "restrictor" plates.