Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched from G5X2 112 to G5X3 114... first thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dope
Just drop your idle down to 500rpm for that killer idle again

Dope
I am really debating between these two cams.... main reason to go with the X2 over the X3 is cause of the killer idle. Idling it down will actually give this same idle?? Seems like the car wouldnt idle as good as the X2 with the idle being this low?? I am not the sharpest tool in the shed though!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
You do not have to flycut with the G5X3 on 112, with stock deck height heads. I have it in my car, and it is within tolerance. I've got PP Stage II LS6 heads, which are stock deck height, and am using the GM gaskets. It will fit fine. FWIW, I would still check valve drop before taking my word for it, because it is close and every setup is different. I'm just speaking from my experience, I did not flycut.
LGM recommended to me that you flycut on a 112LSA, period, and that you'd have to flycut on a 114LSA if you have aftermarket (bigger) valves.
pray you don't float a valve

Old 02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,010 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You do not have to flycut with the G5X3 on 112, with stock deck height heads. I have it in my car, and it is within tolerance. I've got PP Stage II LS6 heads, which are stock deck height, and am using the GM gaskets. It will fit fine. FWIW, I would still check valve drop before taking my word for it, because it is close and every setup is different. I'm just speaking from my experience, I did not flycut.
How much P to V clearance do you have on your set up?
Old 02-07-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

I wish I would have heard that before I got mine... Although the powerband is growing on me quickly, I just miss the agressiveness of the 112!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by johnboy
I am really debating between these two cams.... main reason to go with the X2 over the X3 is cause of the killer idle. Idling it down will actually give this same idle?? Seems like the car wouldnt idle as good as the X2 with the idle being this low?? I am not the sharpest tool in the shed though!
Hey John, my car sounds MEAN as hell with the X3 on the 114 and my XR1s... however it just doesnt rattle pictures off the wall of nearby apartments anymore! In addition its quieter inside the car than before... but you can still literally hear it over 1/2 mile away driving and it still turns any heads within 50 yards when it fires up! I Recommend the X3 over the X2 unless you want a torque cam, in which the X2 is hands down the solid winner over ANY other cam... that of course being said without trying the X3 on a 112...
Old 02-07-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't quite remember off the top of my head what the valve drop was, but I do have it written down somewhere, and I'll see if I can find it. Lou walked me through it on the phone and I was within tolerance. I'll see if I can find my old figures.

Quick Reply: Switched from G5X2 112 to G5X3 114... first thoughts!