Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TEA 1.5s

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Then just ******* do that and be done with it.
Kind of hard to when i cannot find a deal on the 243 casting unlike the 5.3 heads, otherwise, we would not have this thread, LOL.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
500hp n/a + 200hp Nitrous = 700hp on stock pistons.
That is what i am scared of with fly cut slugs. But most are saying that they spray on fly cut pistons no problem.

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
well since you have ALL THE ANSWERS, why even ask questions?!?! since you seem to think everything will work "good enough" then just ******* put it together and when that **** flies apart we can all say "told ya so".
I am not finding the answers to the questions i am looking or Matt and TEA has not responded to any Emails. Trying to see what i can get away with and still clear, but i dont have anyone with LQ4 short block that has tried it to tell me otherwise.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know when i was building my new short block i was going to run some tea 5.3s and matt told me on phone that the cam i was going to run probably wouldn't fit it was a 228/232. so i went with someone else heads cause i didn't wanna fly cut and i was on a budget and could get pistons
Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck getting a response to your e-mail. They never responded to mine. I'm not complaining, I'm sure they are quite busy and I was asking questions on a used set of heads. When I called him he gave me about 2 minutes to ask my question (again I'm not complaining). If I had done my research I would have never bought the TEAs because of the way they do their intake valves.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, at this point, i am holding out on some 243/799 casting, no cutting, i can mill them .030 and reuse my pushrods, gain compression and not worry about it.

Otherwise, if i was building a motor from scratch, it might be different. Too bad people are asking so much for 799 heads, 450 and what not with stock valves that arent even like the LS6 heads. Not paying that much just to dump money into getting them worked over for another 800$.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you have valve clearance with a Trex cam to toss on those heads milled .030 regardless, I don't see it happening. Stock ls1 motors with stock heads and gasket often "kiss" the pistons with no milling at all, your motor the valve would kiss the outside edge not the dished part, so I'd recheck your measurements because that makes no sense to me at all. Me personally I'd mill, run .040 cometics and cut some big old reliefs in there
Old 12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zone, you are finding answers to your questions, they're just not the answers you want.

you
-will i have enough ptv clearance with my combo and tea heads?

everyone
-no

you
-even though i have dished pistons?

everyone
-even with dished pistons as the part of the piston the valve comes in contact with is not the dished part, but rather the "lip" around the dish

you
-i still think it'll work

everyone
-well since you won't listen to reason, just do it

i'm just sayin' dude, you asked the questions, didn't get the answers you wanted, so you asked again worded differently, and you got the same answers. the problem is, that you're using hypotheticals for constants, versus trying to put it together and measure stuff so it doesn't all come apart. this way you're certain. i agree with everyone, put the cylinder heads on it that are the best bang for your buck. put a .040" gasket on it to tighten up quench distance, and cut .080" out of the pistons. it's just not that tough to do.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Kind of hard to when i cannot find a deal on the 243 casting unlike the 5.3 heads, otherwise, we would not have this thread, LOL.

That is what i am scared of with fly cut slugs. But most are saying that they spray on fly cut pistons no problem.

I am not finding the answers to the questions i am looking or Matt and TEA has not responded to any Emails. Trying to see what i can get away with and still clear, but i dont have anyone with LQ4 short block that has tried it to tell me otherwise.
Pick up the phuchin phone and call them ... phuch a bunch of email...I have never had a problem reaching Brian Tooley (owner of tea) on the phone. Suggestion call early in the morning they are in ohio which is eastern time zone. I can't beleive how phuchin hard people make things for themselves now days. Geeeeze...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

zone, you are finding answers to your questions, they're just not the answers you want.

you
-will i have enough ptv clearance with my combo and tea heads?

everyone
-no

you
-even though i have dished pistons?

everyone
-even with dished pistons as the part of the piston the valve comes in contact with is not the dished part, but rather the "lip" around the dish

you
-i still think it'll work

everyone
-well since you won't listen to reason, just do it

i'm just sayin' dude, you asked the questions, didn't get the answers you wanted, so you asked again worded differently, and you got the same answers. the problem is, that you're using hypotheticals for constants, versus trying to put it together and measure stuff so it doesn't all come apart. this way you're certain. i agree with everyone, put the cylinder heads on it that are the best bang for your buck. put a .040" gasket on it to tighten up quench distance, and cut .080" out of the pistons. it's just not that tough to do.

Well said sir ..
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone buy matt a beer
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Just looking for possibilities and what not, so calm down woman.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
I doubt you have valve clearance with a Trex cam to toss on those heads milled .030 regardless, I don't see it happening. Stock ls1 motors with stock heads and gasket often "kiss" the pistons with no milling at all, your motor the valve would kiss the outside edge not the dished part, so I'd recheck your measurements because that makes no sense to me at all. Me personally I'd mill, run .040 cometics and cut some big old reliefs in there
The 243 castings? Have been told that the 243/799 have the same valve height, but either way, i dont care if i put another set of unmilled 317s on my 6.0, i will still recheck the PTV.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 887 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Just looking for possibilities and what not, so calm down woman.

No, like a woman you don't like the answers you are getting, so you ask the same thing a different way.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, like a woman you don't like the answers you are getting, so you ask the same thing a different way.
oh man i had to sig that
Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 887 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
oh man i had to sig that
LOL. I feel special. No one has ever done that before.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

it was a funny remark....so it'll stay for a bit
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Just hoping for possibilities, the more that chime in, the more input. Asking questions is the only way for me to verify that purchasing said heads is a 100% bad idea if i want to avoid fly cutting.

Get off the dick hugging.

Quick Reply: TEA 1.5s