Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam xer vs other lobes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam xer vs other lobes

I've seen this a couple places now and can't figure out what the different lobes mean. Ive seen comp xer lobes and such, I know theres different grinds and specs obviously but what does a cam with xer lobes mean? Searched and can't find anything specific that differentiated them.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matrixiskool
I've seen this a couple places now and can't figure out what the different lobes mean. Ive seen comp xer lobes and such, I know theres different grinds and specs obviously but what does a cam with xer lobes mean? Searched and can't find anything specific that differentiated them.
XER is a comp cams lobe design that has an aggressive ramp rate and lift in the .580-.600 range. The XER lobe will make good power with a small duration because of there fast ramp rate.

The Comp XE lobes are a more mild cam lobe as fare as ramp rate and lift but there also nicer to your valve springs.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

ramp rates. or.. how fast or slow the opening and closing of the valves are. you can do a bunch of different things with that too, fast opening slow closing, vise versa, a combination of on the int and exhaust.

the XERs have a higher lift but the XFIs have a higher ramp rate. then theres the even more aggressive LSKs that were all the rage for about 5 minutes and now the new LSL lobes. you can mix and match to fit your combination best. the XEs a High Lift lobes are quite a bit softer.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok so it has to do with ramp rate I did nt know if it was materials the cam was made of or what thanks guys. What are these lsl lobes all about? I think my ms4 is xer
Old 12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
ramp rates. or.. how fast or slow the opening and closing of the valves are. you can do a bunch of different things with that too, fast opening slow closing, vise versa, a combination of on the int and exhaust.

the XERs have a higher lift but the XFIs have a higher ramp rate. then theres the even more aggressive LSKs that were all the rage for about 5 minutes and now the new LSL lobes. you can mix and match to fit your combination best. the XEs a High Lift lobes are quite a bit softer.
I believe you've got it backwards. The XFIs have a higher lift but the XERs have a higher ramp rate.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I believe you've got it backwards. The XFIs have a higher lift but the XERs have a higher ramp rate.
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...obeCatalog.pdf

looks like it depends more on the lobe number
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh ok so it has to do with ramp rate I did nt know if it was materials the cam was made of or what thanks guys. What are these lsl lobes all about? I think my ms4 is xer
LSL lobes were designed in conjunction with one of the sponsors here, i forget which. they are LS specific and there has been some good results
from them
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the bottom;

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/419/ca...aspx#HydRoller
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

XE-R lobes are OK. They're abusive on the valvetrain, but other than that they're a decent generic lobe that will make good power.

There's lots of better lobes out there though.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some good info regarding lobe profiles

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
Indeed. As guys have pointed out, "aggressiveness" not only varies from lobe family to family, but also between various areas of the individual lobe. That is compounded by the fact that often times not all lobes in the family exhibit equivalent velocity/accels/jerk/etc, have slightly different operating ranges, etc. That said, as has been alluded to, all of them can be made to run reliably if the rest of the VT is appropriately selected, installed, and adjusted.

Often we get questions regarding the differences between the common lobe families, and I'd actually made an XER/LSK/LSL comparison graph for one customer in the past between 3 lobes, all within 3-6deg duration.

Late to the party, but someone may glean something from it.

Good luck!

-Phil

EDIT: If the image is too large & forcing everyone to scroll, let me know & I'll edit/link it.

Quick Reply: Cam xer vs other lobes