Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my block, questions about piston sizing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding my block, questions about piston sizing.

I'm doing a very basic n/a (5.3 head setup) LS1 rebuild with Mahle -4cc pistons and Eagle 6125O3D rods stock crank.

I had the shortblock rebuilt before (20k miles ago) with the stock pistons/connecting rods, but had the machine shop do the assembly. They did a hone, but did not re-bore the block. When the engine was scoped, all the cross hatching looks fine on the cylinder walls. Reason for tearing down is due to detonation, piston pitting, and low compression, it was down about a 100hp on the dyno.

I'm looking at ordering the components to rebuild now, I see the Mahle pistons come in 3.898 and 3.903 bore size, if I haven't bored the block I should be using the 3.898 pistons correct?

Also, I can't remember whether or not the crank was turned the last time I had the engine rebuilt. I'm going to take the crank and block to a machine shop after dis assembly to have it tanked, freezeplugs replaced and re-honed.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planing to keep your car you should have the block honed to 3.903 and install new cam, main rods bearings install everything new seals gasket bolts etc also have the crank micro polished and trust me you will be satisfy at the end