Sponsored by:

How to ship an engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to ship an engine

I was going to rebuild my own engine but ARE has offered a great price that I can afford if I can get decent priced shipping. The engine will have no heads, can, pump, and double roller chain. I am hoping that would get me close to 150lb and then I can ship UPS for $100.

If I can't get the weight down then I don't know what my other options are for shipping the engine. Who else can I ship an engine with and how much. FedEx qouted me $800 to East Tennessee!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

check freight companies...but i don't think you can ship something that heavy for a decent price.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call or contact www.onestopshipping.com; ask for Rick in Trucking. Once you get past 150lbs, it's a whole different world out there.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I just shipped my motor and with no oil pump, heads, rods, or pistons it weighed in at just under 250 lbs

I went Fed Ex and they charged me only 210 dollars from Tampa Florida to Michagan so I would try and get another quote from them. Roadway can also ship it but they wanted to charge me 450 dollars opposed to Fed Ex's 210, Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Was that FedEx Frieght? You ship within the US. It might be that high because ARE is in Canada. I will check again though. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually if you contact one of the local freight compnanys like DHL, FedEx Freight or something like that they will quote the shipping cost for you.

I also liked the way that Mike K's block showed up. It wasn't tossed around like a lot of the shipping companys do sometimes. Fed Ex did a good job taking care of him.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I got quoted just under $200 for 250 pounds from Ohio to Texas at Airborne Express (if I drop off).
Old 02-06-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I shipped it FED EX Freight. Its good to know my block got up there in good condition ( hopefully they take the same care on the way back ).

Now that I think of it I should have tried Airborne Express but I did not think of it. Fed Ex made me drop mine off as well. They said they would have picked it up if I had a dock.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Airborne Express location is about 15 minutes away for me. I always use them and drop off everything. Much cheaper that way.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Well I shipped my bare block with maincaps 2 weeks ago, which weighed in at 115 pounds on the bathroom scale. I packed it in a multilayerd box with 4 inches of packing and foam peanuts on every side. You could turn the box every which way and not even get the heavy *** block to move. I shipped it a whopping couple hundred miles South, from Fort Worth to MTI in Houston. Here is how it arrived...

Go go UPS. I posted at the other LS1 board and apparently a lot of people have had damaged large items from UPS. From rear ends to transmissions. One guy posted who WORKED at UPS and said that when heavy packages like this would come down the ramp, instead of placing them into the truck, they would let them FALL into the truck from about 4 feet up. I suspect this is what happened to my poor block.

It had to fall pretty hard to break through all the packing. Now I am in a battle to try and get the block back here and covered by the insurance I put on it. I still have to find another engine block to send as a core to MTI. In conclusion, everyone recommended FedEx over UPS, and now I can see why!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

www.forwardair.com I used them to ship an empty block/pan/covers to Tampa from ATL. About $60.00 insured. You have to crate it and deliver it to their location, but they'll put it on a pallet and deliver to wherever.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Restricted User

I used a place like Foward Air or it may even have been them. I will check my old invoice tonight. I shipped my 10 bolt from Pittsburgh, PA to Houston, TX for around $70.00. Here is the best part. This was Thankgiving week, I dropped it off Monday at lunchtime. It was there by Wednesday and he had it in the car by Thursday. I just shipped it on a pallat.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

My motor and tranny (both complete) were shipped from Dallas to Detroit on one big pallet using Forward Air. It cost ~$130.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:52 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

You might as well just dump the block in the river, you'll see it sooner than you'll see it if it actually does get shipped to ARE, unless they've pulled their heads out of their *** in the past 3 months.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used forward air several times, and it's realtively cheap ($65 to ship a bare 6.0L block from DFW to Knoxville) and fast too...

Never had a problem with damage either.

I do have to build the crate myself, but it's not hard now that I've done about 5 of them, and have the measurements memorized. FYI, you can buy pallets @ Home Depot for $25, add a couple of 2x4s (or 2x10s if it has an oil pan on it) in the right place, and some 1x2's for sides and a top, with the cheapest thin board for covering... Would take about 2 hours if you're competant with a hammer, saw and ruler. I also like to lay thick mil plastic on the base of the pallet and around the outside and secure it with a staple gun, just to protect from moisture.... Just some notes for pple that want to DIY.

if anyone want's dimensions for building from scratch a crate for an LS1, PM me and I can send em to ya. Right now, it's all in notes on a pad of paper, and I need to re-draw it and make it 'prettier', and then I can scan it in, and change to .jpg format... If you need basic text, I can try and outline as best as possible too...

Matt Baskett
Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forward Air...110 from cali to NY...shortblock.
You have to depot drop and pick up (usually near airport)
Old 02-07-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cricket99SS
Well I shipped my bare block with maincaps 2 weeks ago, which weighed in at 115 pounds on the bathroom scale. I packed it in a multilayerd box with 4 inches of packing and foam peanuts on every side. You could turn the box every which way and not even get the heavy *** block to move. I shipped it a whopping couple hundred miles South, from Fort Worth to MTI in Houston. Here is how it arrived...

Go go UPS. I posted at the other LS1 board and apparently a lot of people have had damaged large items from UPS. From rear ends to transmissions. One guy posted who WORKED at UPS and said that when heavy packages like this would come down the ramp, instead of placing them into the truck, they would let them FALL into the truck from about 4 feet up. I suspect this is what happened to my poor block.

It had to fall pretty hard to break through all the packing. Now I am in a battle to try and get the block back here and covered by the insurance I put on it. I still have to find another engine block to send as a core to MTI. In conclusion, everyone recommended FedEx over UPS, and now I can see why!
That sucks to see. Airborne Express and Fed Ex freight have always been pretty good for us.