Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milky substance on the inside of my valve covers.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of removing the PCV hoses entirely, plugging any holes in the valve covers and intake manifold that the hose connected to, and just installing a valve cover breather so the crank case can still vent. This would eliminate any issues with oil in the intake, and since this car is drag strip only, I could just change the breather out for the oil fill cap when the car is sitting so no moisture could get inside the car, and whenever I needed to fire the car up to move it or run it just pull the cap and put on the breather.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't get why everyone is so worried about a little oil in the intake. It doesn't hurt anything. Who cares if the car smokes just a little bit
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a scanner on your car when the oil gets in the intake and watch the spark knock and you will see why you need a catch can.I was getting spark knock until I put the catch can on my car.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Put a scanner on your car when the oil gets in the intake and watch the spark knock and you will see why you need a catch can.I was getting spark knock until I put the catch can on my car.
You must have been using a ton then. I use the normal amount and have never had any issues and I run cold plugs for spray daily.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Mine was letting quite a bit in.Mine would smoke real bad when I got on it.I know it was killing my power.You spraying you blowing it all out ha ha.I was surprised when I put the autoxray on my car and went down the road I wasn't hearing it but it was getting some pretty good spark knock.My trailblazer ss is fixing to get a catch can.After running a scanner I am a firm believer on the catch cans.Not no ebay one either.

Last edited by sabersaw30; 12-12-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Hi,
if you have any reservations about your issue: Do a compression check and this will rule-out head gasket issues and other related problems. Vacuum check will show valve train issues and leaks. Good luck........... Merry christmas.............
Jim
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
I don't get why everyone is so worried about a little oil in the intake. It doesn't hurt anything. Who cares if the car smokes just a little bit
The problem isn't smoke... it's detonation/knock (oil vapor lowers the effective octane of the fuel/air mixture).

Also, burning oil leaves crusty deposits (which also promote detonation).
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
If you are trying to get every last HP from the car yes oil in the burn mixture will cause KR to pull timing and cost you a few ponies...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
If you are trying to get every last HP from the car yes oil in the burn mixture will cause KR to pull timing and cost you a few ponies...
Ill hook mine up to a Tech 2 sometime. I would like to see how much it really does affect it. Basically this means every GM car is loosing ponies then since every LS and most of the VVT's are using oil

Quick Reply: Milky substance on the inside of my valve covers.......