Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams Trunion upgrade potential problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually installed these in my rockers this weekend and had the same problems. In fact, one of the bearings came with the needles all over in the bag Tried to put all the needles back in but once I got it assembled it didn't move worth a crap.
Nothing against TSP but I'm not very impressed with these. Really the only product I've gotten from them that hasn't panned out. I'll probably be going with some Scorpions now.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Yep, that last sentence should have been:
"Too lose is bad and too tight is bad. In this case, it appears there was too little clearance."

That one word error does not seem to justify your evaluation of the post unless I am missing something.
Sure it does. Especially after a very unpleasant afternoon in the garage searching for the cause of my new valvetrain clatter.

The thing is, you're not even talking about clearance on this particular application.

If there was any clearance at all between the bearing O.D. and the rocker I.D. you wouldn't need a press to install it...the thing's an interference fit by design.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Sure it does. Especially after a very unpleasant afternoon in the garage searching for the cause of my new valvetrain clatter.

The thing is, you're not even talking about clearance on this particular application.

If there was any clearance at all between the bearing O.D. and the rocker I.D. you wouldn't need a press to install it...the thing's an interference fit by design.
Part of what you say is correct. The outside bearing race is an interference fit with the rocker bearing bore. However, if there is too much interference fit or "crush", then it creates a reduction in the clearance between the outer bearing race, the needle bearings and the rocker trunion shaft. This is the situation that this thread is referring to.

Good luck with your valve train clatter. When you figure it out, let us know. Just be careful how your word it, or someone having a bad day may take a shot at you.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Got some miles on mine and all is still well. I stand behind this mod as very cost effective. I know the "scorpion" rockers sound good but do some research on those and all rockers that look just like them
Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been repairing autos for 27 years and lawn equip , mini-bikes and motorcycles for an additional 10 years and I learned in the early years from My Moms' Dad who rebuilt B-17 gun turrets during the big 1, then moved here and owned/ operated a machine shop d-town phx built engines for a cpl of the racers and sometimes manufacturing specs just don't happen perfectly ,,,,,,it happens were all human ,,,,nobodies fault ,,,,just happens , now My experience is I took a set of factory rockers and tac welded the caps in place ,,,,,,a cpl of them had a little slag in the bearings but it all worked it's way out n they rock as they did before the slag ,,,,,,,the really low budget upgrade ,,,,he he
Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Got some miles on mine and all is still well. I stand behind this mod as very cost effective. I know the "scorpion" rockers sound good but do some research on those and all rockers that look just like them
Funny you said that. I searched it after I posted and found quite a few horror stories. Yella Terras here I come! Maybe I'll call TSP tomorrow and see if they'll sell the upgraded stockers individually though.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Adam86
Funny you said that. I searched it after I posted and found quite a few horror stories. Yella Terras here I come! Maybe I'll call TSP tomorrow and see if they'll sell the upgraded stockers individually though.
Now the ones selling them will ******* swear up and down you are an idiot and that they've never had a failure. Bullshit. Go with whats proven, whatever that might be
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got some miles on mine and all is still well. I stand behind this mod as very cost effective.
Mine is holding up as well.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you notice any difference in valvetrain noise after the upgrade? Just wondering if the new trunnions made it any quieter.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Perfectly quiet before, still perfectly quiet now.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Update from me. I just bought 4 stock rockers from a fellow techer and installed the last 2 trunion upgrades. Tried the 2 upgrades in all 4 rockers. Well just my luck, fit like **** in 3 and 1 feels ok but has a little drag to it. Gotta be a issue with the bearings itself being a hair oversized from my batch. Thunder Racing has 2 new trunion upgrades heading my way so hopefully all goes well.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Old School Heavy

I am thinking that there are a lot of these problems that may have gone unnoticed after installation. I am waiting to hear failures associated with this problem.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ski23
Update from me. I just bought 4 stock rockers from a fellow techer and installed the last 2 trunion upgrades. Tried the 2 upgrades in all 4 rockers. Well just my luck, fit like **** in 3 and 1 feels ok but has a little drag to it. Gotta be a issue with the bearings itself being a hair oversized from my batch. Thunder Racing has 2 new trunion upgrades heading my way so hopefully all goes well.
I just removed the upgraded rockers from my car after about 50 miles on them. 12 of the 16 had catches and stiff spots of varying degrees. Only 4 were completely silky smooth. So, for the people who were hoping that the bearings would "smooth out" after usage, it does not look good. I just don't trust these things. With those catches and stiff spots, I can't help but think it is just a matter for time before some type of bearing failure catastrophe happens. So, I am looking for another solution.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:03 AM
9 Second Club

I went with the harland sharpe factory rocker trunion upgrade. Already assembled. A little expensive but they work very well.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where the rockers making noise or affecting your cars' performance. What made you decide to take them off? I just had them installed on a spare set of rockers and 15 of 16 was smooth as glass. The one that wasn't didn't seem to be too bad, it just wasn't as smooth as the others. Cam swap will be complete this afternoon so we shall see.......

I just removed the upgraded rockers from my car after about 50 miles on them. 12 of the 16 had catches and stiff spots of varying degrees. Only 4 were completely silky smooth. So, for the people who were hoping that the bearings would "smooth out" after usage, it does not look good. I just don't trust these things. With those catches and stiff spots, I can't help but think it is just a matter for time before some type of bearing failure catastrophe happens. So, I am looking for another solution.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Hardtop
Where the rockers making noise or affecting your cars' performance. What made you decide to take them off? I just had them installed on a spare set of rockers and 15 of 16 was smooth as glass. The one that wasn't didn't seem to be too bad, it just wasn't as smooth as the others. Cam swap will be complete this afternoon so we shall see.......
I had a lot of lifter clatter. After trying different preloads and anything else I could think of, I bought some new LS7 lifters. I checked the rockers because I was displeased with how they felt from the start.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

I had a lot of lifter clatter. After trying different preloads and anything else I could think of, I bought some new LS7 lifters. I checked the rockers because I was displeased with how they felt from the start.
I had mine installed by Hinson last year and all were silky smooth. Like you, I was troubleshooting a noisy valvetrain and ended up with a lifter problem.

I went all the way back to stock except for Morel lifters, it's quiet so I'm leaving it alone and selling my upgraded rockers and longer pushrods. The Morels needed shorter p-rods so I ended up buying yet another set, this time at 7.250" length.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice thread..I dont like the way this 'upgrade' sounds; I prefer to keep my stocker. I might just buy new stock GM for peace of mind. I gotta say that my stock rockers are holding, even after 111K miles, including 50K miles with H/C and some bottles later too.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

These are honestly the first issues I've heard out of these. Most of the people in this thread are installing these themselves so that kind of makes me wonder if that is where the issue is coming from?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Nice thread..I dont like the way this 'upgrade' sounds; I prefer to keep my stocker. I might just buy new stock GM for peace of mind. I gotta say that my stock rockers are holding, even after 111K miles, including 50K miles with H/C and some bottles later too.
Now you went and did it, failure is imminent!

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Trunion upgrade potential problem