Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cam / Oil Pan Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cam / Oil Pan Question?

I have a 02 Z06, I've ordered a new cam and now I'm just trying to get ready to change it out. My question is about the oil pan. On the old SBC I've done a number of cam change outs, but this is my first on the LS. I'm planning on a new timing set and a new oil pump. I've read on this forum that if you change out the oil pump you have to lower the front of the oil pan. Is that correct? Is that hard to do? Why does it have to be lowered? I looked at the timing cover gasket and it doesn't have the lower seal on it. Does the lower part of the timing cover seal to the front of the pan gasket?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does need to be lowered. The pickup tube attaches to the oil pump with a 10mm bolt in an area that cant be reached without lowering the pan some. Its a PITA!

Then there is the problem, a ton of people have, of either not getting the correct oring or not getting the oring seated correctly between the oil pump and the pickup tube. Both result in extremely low, or no oil pressure at all.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to lower the pan to get to the pickup tube bolt. Use a ratchet wrench and it will make it a LOT easier. Just lower the front of the pan by loosening all the bolts. You might have to remove some of the front bolts to get it low enough. You will have to remove some anyway to get the front cover off.

The pan gasket goes all the way around the front of the pan. It seals to the bottom of the front cover. When you reinstall the front cover, put a small amount of RTV where the front cover gasket and oil pan gasket meet. This will seal it up and stop any oil from leaking between the covers.

Let me know if you have any questions during the install and we'll get you fixed up!

Thanks again!
Jon
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM

It really makes me just want to reuse my timing chain and oil pump and omit all of that worry. I've bought a new chain kit and pump but it really makes me wonder.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Here's two pictures that I copied from LS1HowTo.com. The pickup tube is different in the two pics. Does anyone know which pic will like my LS6?
Picture 1

Picture 2
Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul McGuire
Here's two pictures that I copied from LS1HowTo.com. The pickup tube is different in the two pics. Does anyone know which pic will like my LS6?
Picture 1

Picture 2
Those pixes you can do either of those pixes unless you have good hands/tool to do without remove oil pan