Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timings way off why? c5 zo6 after cam install 6mths ago

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011 | 10:22 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Disconnect the MAF and see if it clears up...the MAF can read incorrectly and still be within the correct parameters and not set a DTC for the MAF, but will make the engine run very poorly as described and throw a whole book of other DTC's complicating the diagnosis.

The last dealership that i worked at the kid next to me misdiagnosed a supercharged Grand Prix as having a faulty Cat converter b/c it was glowing red hot after driving and ran very poor spitting and sputtering (with multiple DTC's) so he figured it was clogged. He left out of pure rage when that didn't fix it. After looking at the Tech 2 at idle I saw airflow was reading WAY high and disconnected the MAF, forcing it into limp mode and took the MAF out of the equation...it cleared up and ran fine. $2k bill for a $200 MAF.

Figured this may help since yours was already misdiagnosed as a bad Cat converter (which doesn't really happen often any more).

Last edited by DMM; 01-06-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-06-2011 | 10:46 AM
Launching!

Yeah the guy swaped out the mass airflow sensor. And did not fix the problem. Now they saw a burned wire touching on the heads or block tht goes to the blaster coils and said tht its been running fine hopefully tht s the problem but. And your cats won't clog if u have a cam like mine .601 .605 236 238 112 running with stoc manifolds and cats they won't clog up wit h. All tht rich amount of fuel going thru them....?
Old 01-06-2011 | 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

So you're running a big cam with stock exhaust manifolds and then put on long tubes, has it been retuned since?
Old 01-06-2011 | 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Have you physically check to see if the timing dots are lined up?
Old 01-06-2011 | 12:03 PM
Launching!

yes but the longtubes just came on yesterday and the cam i got it 6 mths ago and it was tuned for tht cam ... it will be retunend when i get it back
Old 01-06-2011 | 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Which ignition coils do you have...?!?!

Edit: (MSD blasters are known to have problems)
Old 01-06-2011 | 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joecar
Which ignition coils do you have...?!?!

Edit: (MSD blasters are known to have problems)
That was my next question. I don't see how the cam can be the problem.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
That was my next question. I don't see how the cam can be the problem.
i have factory ignition coils ... but now the problem is solved it was a ground cable from the coils harnees that was not touching ground it was broken off i think it must have been from the previus cam instal since heads and intake came off and the guys probly for got to put tht cable in a safe spot..... but yesterday when i picked up the car when i got home i pooped the hood to check how my new headers looked under the hood and i noticed a spark plug wire not hooked to the spark plug and it was sparking i turnend off the car and hooked it back up do you guys think that would damage anything i also had those plugs and wires replaced at that shop that fixed the problem and installed the headers...?
Old 01-07-2011 | 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, it sounds like you need a new shop. First they forget an ignition ground wire, and now they cannot even hook up spark plug wires correctly? Seriously, I am honestly surprised they knew what to do when it comes to swapping cams since they can't even do the basics.

Quick Reply: timings way off why? c5 zo6 after cam install 6mths ago