Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What method do you use when pullin a LS Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went out and in from the top, and it wasn't difficult. Ill do the same on my wife's car when I pull the engine out of it. Its not as hard as it seems. Take your time making sure all the wires are clear, and pull it out. I pulled the bare shortblock, but dropped in a longblock.

Only thing I realized on the way in is to wait to install the water pump, and oil pressure switch thing after its in.

And you don't have to remove the hood, you can disconnect the struts and flip it back, just pad it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FST SS
I guess it's kinda like asking do you prefer doggie style or missionary style.
Either way works for me!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
If you take a few mins to remove the intake and heads, pulling the engine out the top is so easy it almost jumps out on its own.
what planet are you from?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

I think its INSANITY to mess with the ENTIRE frt end suspension just to remove the engine. I can't imagine the all the bs stuff involved. Guys that pull them out the bottom obviously never tried pulling them out the top. If you take a few mins to remove the intake and heads, pulling the engine out the top is so easy it almost jumps out on its own.

I think GM really got you BOTTOM guys to swallow on this one HEHE

Then after all the bs of lifting the car body off the sub frame you still have to lift the engine and remove it from sub frame you removed!!!!!!!!!! Before you do this please rent ONE FLEW OVER THE KOOKOO's NEST watch the move then REMOVE YOUR ENGINE FROM THE TOP! Ya JackWagon!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
what planet are you from?
The planet that knows removing the engine from the top is easy as pie.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I can tell from your post you are a bottomer hehe
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

I can tell from your post you are a bottomer hehe
Why? You huntin for a date?

I edited my comment. After I read your comment a second time I laughed and took it as a joke. I apologize for the DB comment, there was no reason to be like that if you were joking.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

I bean around the block a few thousand times...anyone tells you pulling the engine out the botton is easy Tell them you have a nice bridge for sale.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
I went out and in from the top, and it wasn't difficult. Ill do the same on my wife's car when I pull the engine out of it. Its not as hard as it seems. Take your time making sure all the wires are clear, and pull it out. I pulled the bare shortblock, but dropped in a longblock.

Only thing I realized on the way in is to wait to install the water pump, and oil pressure switch thing after its in.

And you don't have to remove the hood, you can disconnect the struts and flip it back, just pad it.
Excellent advice, I just can't imagine it being any easier.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

I think the biggest thing is to determine how much room you have to be taking up during your swap. I've had large shops and I've done swaps inside of tiny garages. Makes a huge difference as to which way is more convenient.

Once we pulled motor and tranny out the top with a backhoe Talk about easy!! With all the adjustments a backhoe bucket is capable of it was like taking candy from a baby. Out the bottom isn't bad either, like I said it really just depends on 1) How much room do you have 2) do you have the capabilities of lifting the car pretty high and leaving it there for some time? 3) what is it you are doing with the motor once out (complete swap, rebuild, spit shine) Really you can't go wrong either way just take your time especially being that it's your first and like said before mark and seperate anything and everything!! Will make reinstall a LOT easier
Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Once you lift the car off the sub frame then what do you do with it? Out the bottom is ok if you have ALOt of eaxtra time or mauybe a lift where the car can sit. Out the top the car can still be moved around. Out the bottom is GMs way of scarin people into taking the car back to the dealer for engine replacement, they have been doing stuff like this forever. back in the 70's Gm actually GLUED the oil filters on from the factory so you were going back to dealer for your 1st oil change like it or not. I remember peeling many oil filter off piece buy piece and towing new cars in to replace the oil filters where people tried removing them at home without success.

GM you sure are crazy farkers, butt smart.

Pulling the engine out the bottom is like having brain surgery through your feet!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

The planet that knows removing the engine from the top is easy as pie.
i think doing a head swap sucks!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

I didn't mean to swap the heads in the car, just remove them before pulling the engine. Then install the engine with the heads on then put the intake on.

I personally woood pull the trans right with the engine. Its easy and it takes all the bs out of removing the bolts at the back of the block.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You really are comparing apples to oranges. The argument comes down, like everyone has said, to YOUR resources. Personally, I don't want to be pulling heads and accessories with the motor still in the car, but I have a bad back. It'd be nice to not have to keep the car lifted, but it requires far less preliminary work to just slide it out the front. If you're like me and am building the motor on a tubular k-member, pull it out the bottom and swap k's. If you don't mind hunching over to pull the heads and accessories, flip the hood back and pull it through the top. It really is personal preference. One is not better than the other.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Launching!

bottom bottom bottom can get it done in a hour
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

When pulling an engine from the bottom, it comes out whole, then can you install it whole? I have both a two and four post lift with time. will have a complete long block assembled ready for the parts from the old motor.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FST SS
I guess it's kinda like asking do you prefer doggie style or missionary style.
Whichever one gets me my nut.
Hopefully she'll get her's.
-Matt
Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Out the top in my driveway. If have 2 post lift out the bottom
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started pulling it out the top tonight. God help me...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

TAKE PICS. good luck with the pull. after reading all this i would pull from the top bc of my cramped garage. this would be a good thread for a POLL.....