Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO NOT try this at home . . . AKA my BUILD thread :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011 | 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Today when I got off work (at a little after 6AM - 12 hour shifts) I played w/the car battery relocation, battery box, cables and battery disconnect . . .

Old 02-17-2011 | 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

i have never had an tootsie roll long enough for it too get cold!!
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

I'm still laughing about this happening. It was about 10 degrees or so in the garage... As the pictures show I've since gotten clay and the only thing missing is getting checking springs (might do that today...) Getting the electrical knocked out. Have my relocated coils done (just not tested - i.e. fired up) and need to put the dash electrical all back together and get my disconnect connected to the alternator.

For the record, after the tootsie roll 'error', I gave the bags away
Old 02-18-2011 | 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
there is no way you have that much clearance with that cam...you cannot use a regular lifter unless you have a checker spring...you collapsed the lifter when checking...you have to use a solid lifter and adustable pushrod when using the dual springs
Agreed
Old 03-03-2011 | 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

little update . . . Got a good deal on an electric waterpump but after getting it noticed the anodizing was splotchy. Contacted the manufacturer about cleanup/reanodizing and I didn't like the price option! Got me a can of Dupont anodizer & prep... Cleaned the pump housing, prepped the pump housing and sprayed the pump housing. I LOVE the results. The picture doesn't quite show how good it looks, but it shows the initial color and final color pretty well. Now I'm looking for other items to spray

Old 03-03-2011 | 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

God bless dial indicators
Old 03-21-2011 | 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

While I am not the first, the fastest, the best or cleanest, I AM the latest to replace my k-member It's in as of 15 minutes ago. That, my lower a-arms and the Madman manual steering rack. All went well once I got my poly motor mounts in today. I've got a little touch-up painting to do with the k-member as bits got scratched with the SYA bars going in and the a-arms. I also put in the shocks/springs from Chris Alston

It's going back together ! ! !

Old 03-22-2011 | 03:32 AM
11 Second Club

Couldn't leave alone so I've been in the garage

I think this is gonna make it 'POP' when I lift the hood off

I rebuilt the lifters and soaked them for days.
I drilled the oil-return holes in the lifter guides.
Prepped the block surfaces after blowing out all the holes and chasing the holes.
Got my poly-motor-mounts in today so I cleaned them up and painted the shells.
Did double-passes at 30# - 50# - 70# for the head bolts following the pattern and went straight to 22# for the smaller 5 bolts.
Installed the timing cover, crank pulley and water pump.

Still toying with the idea of maybe going back to the garage and doing the headers Left the good valve covers off until I'm basically done. Still have the alternator wire from my rear push-off to wire up along with installing the upper a-arms, mounts and tops to the coil overs, catch can, radiator, hoses, fluids, brake lines, intake. . . . you get the hint.
Old 03-23-2011 | 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Got my spindles back from the shop today along with the upper a-arm mounts (had them blasted - rust pitting...) and got to work. I love black hammerstone paint

Need to get my skinnies out of storage for the front, but I love the space in the wheels
Old 04-02-2011 | 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Alright. I've taken a few days off and the car is on all 4 wheels with the engine fully assembled for the first time in 6 months! Had to tweak a little with the coil overs as I had the car too low... was about 24 1/2" wheel arch-ground and couldn't get the jack out from under the car 26" seems to be fine and is still 2" lower than I'm used to. Later this morning, it's time for headers, a little electrical, a lot of dash reassembly and exterior cleaning!

Sunday if all goes well, I'll be finishing the wiring and trying a test fire
Old 04-02-2011 | 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

Hows the madman manual rack with full size rims?
Old 04-02-2011 | 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

nice duff do you expect it to run 11s now
Old 04-02-2011 | 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

MShadow, haven't had the car on the road yet so I can't answer this. I suspect the gear ratio is easy enough to turn at slow speeds.

Fly, after the cam alone I should have been into the 11's easy, and if my rear could have held it, April of 2009 I might have found out... remember that?

Tried something different today... Car is out of the garage for the first time in just over 6 months! Gave her a good basic washing and snapped a few shots. Had I not needed to replace the wifes brakes today I coulda/woulda/shoulda been starting the car tomorrow. Who knows... might still

Old 04-03-2011 | 03:23 AM
11 Second Club

I was bored this evening after sitting with the wife & kids... Nickelodeon something or other awards on... joy so I left that scene and went to the garage

Finished installing the headers and connecting to the y-pipe, new gaskets & bolts all around

Dropped her back down and installed plugs and wires... Had a 8-pack of TR6's sitting around for a LONG time and threw them in. Connected up the wires from my remotely located coils and had TONS excess length on those.

Temporarily deleted the battery relocation idea. I'll switch it to the back later, but this way I don't have to get another cable for the alternator for a bit. Threw the battery on a slow charge just to make sure it's good. Measured 11.7 volts after nearly 7 months!!!

Put the radiator back in with the fans and new upper (power steering cooler delete) hose. Ordered a new lower hose yesterday since my old/current lower feels really oily for some reason. . . . .

Decided if I'm gonna try to fire up the car tomorrow or so, I better be able to stop so I reinstalled the brake master (no fluid yet but I will when I start bleeding the brakes). Fabricated up a new pair of brake lines from the master to the line lock and to the proportioning valve (AL, you HAVE to miss me ) While fabing up, was reminded that the battery was on charge when I got a little arc-spark action . . . . FYI, installed line lock bodies act just like a ground as far as the positive terminal on the fuse block is concerned. . .

Measured the battery and it's charged just fine so I started a trickle charge on the battery in the back while I was at it.

Get this, I put away my tools nearly every night when I'm done!!! Imagine how semi-organized my garage must be.

Thats the highlights...

Maybe some front brakes tomorrow (later today) and a little wiring cleanup for the dash...

So... How many people can get to their #8 plug this easy?

Little of the new brake lines. Tried getting fancy with the routing.

Until tomorrow (later today )
Old 04-10-2011 | 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

[quote author=duffster board=LS1 thread=7207 post=54829 time=1302485424]Guess 24.5" is a little too low for the car.... I'll have to raise it to about 26.5-27".... I mean the ground to front fender arch...

AND out of 14 NEW flare joints I've done for brake lines... ONE leaked It was the 2nd one I did and I didn't mind redoing it. After doing this I think I need to make a video for Youtube how to double-flare brake/fuel lines

Brake fluid IN the reservoir! ! ! First time in nearly 6 months

[/quote]

Tomorrow, dash wiring, maybe dash and more brake bleeding...
Old 04-10-2011 | 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i feel your pain. i had to do double flares for my jeep master cylinder when i upgraded from non ABS to ABS style master...it was a bitch, messed up the first two, but after that got the hang of it.

Your engine bay is really pretty...makes me want to clean out mine too!
Old 04-10-2011 | 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

pretty.... YUCK
Old 04-11-2011 | 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Well, putting the dash back in was a whole lot easier than I thought it was going to be...

rough in, wiring into proper places, lift and place on the two door studs, double check no crimps/pinches and start with the screws. OBDII, fuses, block connectors, steering connections, clutch & brakes, air bags, glove box, grounds and DONE! Might have been 30 minutes!!!

Battery connected, key to on, check brakes, headlights, signals, horn, remote door locks locked/unlocked and rear hatch unlatched.

EVERYTHING worked!!!

Key to start - click - click - click - SO. . . Now the fun begins
Old 04-11-2011 | 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

I've checked fuses under the hood. So far I've got a clutch switch to check, voltage at the starter/solenoid to check and pop the solenoid a couple times to be sure. The little back box behind the stereo spot (little bigger than a couple decks of cards) clicks when I key the ignition. Fuel pressure is good, mirrors, horn, lights, signals, windows. . . everything electric is working, so it shouldn't be terribly difficult. Need to double check grounds in engine compartment I think too...
Old 04-11-2011 | 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Alright. . . so I've got a pair of connectors under the steering wheel that aren't connected to anything or each other. I don't see the obvious connection points and the black one only has about 5-6 inches of range with which to swing. The blue connector has about 15-20 inches. Both are pictured below...

Now I found a ground connection of some type from the passenger side stud for the dash down by the feet... If you open the door and look down, you'll probably see it. Where does this heavy gauge black wire go to???

Thanks,

D

Quick Reply: DO NOT try this at home . . . AKA my BUILD thread :)