Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam opinions for 3400 stall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumper supports? Rear seats? carpet and sound deadening material? There is much more you can do that won't affect the interior ride quality too, I never knew it either it's in drag racing tech. You have a higher stall than myself as well so hitting 11's would be easier for ya.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** weight reduction.. been there, done that. You can run extremely fast full interior ac with all supports and everything.

If you want weight reduction buy some drag rims for the track and buy lite weight suspension pieces.

Only way i would do weight reduction is if it was a drag car that only saw street tike to go race someone and then go back home. No reason to take half the **** out of a car, full weight or gutted imo, no in-between.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
**** weight reduction.. been there, done that. You can run extremely fast full interior ac with all supports and everything.

If you want weight reduction buy some drag rims for the track and buy lite weight suspension pieces.

Only way i would do weight reduction is if it was a drag car that only saw street tike to go race someone and then go back home. No reason to take half the **** out of a car, full weight or gutted imo, no in-between.
Why no in between? That has been my plan for awhile, is there something you know that I do not?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Restricted User

I am not going to tear up ANYTHING for weight reduction. My car is perfect lol. The only thing I want to maybe do is take the catback off and relocate the battery to the back to keep traction.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Average Joe
Why no in between? That has been my plan for awhile, is there something you know that I do not?
I am full weight with a 226 cam ls6 intake hand ported milled 317s full bolt ons full suspension and in 2200 DA I was running 1.50-1.52 short times barely spinning and 7.30-7.32@95mph with a nitrous tune.
I added ported fast 102 setup Chrs1313 RAM air and x pipe with 1 chambers and a tune for motor plus tweaked the suspension. I would put money that in anything better than a 2000 DA i would have ran 1.46-7 short times and 6.9@98. I could still upgrade to a much nicer set of heads and a custom spec cam for my setup. Why do i need to take weight out? Pick the right parts and you will run extremely fast full weight.

Fwiw, my gutted (3200 race weight) ms4 prc stage 1 heads 4400 vig xpipe one chambers ported 9090 410s car only ran 7.2s@96mph low 1.6 short times.
Granted it has bone stock suspension so spun its *** off, and no tune for the heads.. it still didn't run that much better of a mph.

There is no reason to take weight out imo unless it is a track only car and then you should go all out.. Plus it is that much more awesome when you show up in a full weight car that you drove to the track with ac on and radio blasting with the windows down and you are running with cars that are gutted and hauled to the track.

It is opinion.. I have already went that route. Imo a full weight street car that is modded properly so it will run with the gutted street cars is so much more fun and pleasing at the end of the day.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

You add weight with the battery relocation.. I understand the battery goes to the back but that wire is not light. If it were me I would just get a lite weight race battery.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Restricted User

You add weight with the battery relocation.. I understand the battery goes to the back but that wire is not light. If it were me I would just get a lite weight race battery.
Where can you get a lightweight battery? And how much are they?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Where can you get a lightweight battery? And how much are they?
A few sponsors sell them I think.. post in drag tech about it. Iirc 100$???
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

There is no reason to take weight out imo unless it is a track only car and then you should go all out.. Plus it is that much more awesome when you show up in a full weight car that you drove to the track with ac on and radio blasting with the windows down and you are running with cars that are gutted and hauled to the track.
Hey lemons, true story. We were at the opening night of the track, several f bodies lined up in the staging lanes. It was freakin crowded and we were all standing around by the cars shootin the **** waiting for them to let us run. It was kinda muggy out, we had been standing there about 2 hrs, and the concession stands were way the hell on the other side of the parking lot. So this guy has a stripped down, no interior, ac, etc camaro and says he is thirsty. A few minutes later, I pop the trunk of mine, open an ice chest and grab a cold drink and pull out a fold-able chair. I sit down and take a long cold drink. He looks at me in surprise. I point at my car and say "street car" and laugh my *** off. I always go down the track with misc things in the back like mini ice chests and crap.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hahaha awesome, I would have been in tears!!!

I love to have a car like that and still run with the gutted guys. Hell, even within 1 car length is enough to rub in their face.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Well if it means anything at all I had just planned on losing around 50-75 lbs which from what I have been hearing is quite easy without tearing into the interior and lose drive quality, I love my stereo and AC and plan to keep them for awhile. I figure if I can get to 3400-3500 with me in car I will for sure meet my goal, and then I can start tearing into the motor.